Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New discus tank

Hybrid View

Just an Egg

New discus tank

Hi All,

I'm in the process of setting up a new discus tank and seeing it's been a few years since I've kept them ask a couple of quick questions.

1. What is a good dry food that can be fed to discus from an automatic feeder?

2. I'm in Melbourne and the water here is pretty good for discus, low gh and kh and neutral ph, does anyone else who has discus in Melbourne add and supplements to the water or just pretty much leave it as is straight from the tap

3. is it a myth or a fact about mixing discus from Asia vs Germany and wilds? I haven't decided what I am looking at yet and it will also depend what is available in Melbourne

- I am pretty sure I mixed all three last time with no issues but don't want to set myself up for trouble.

4. Are there any serious breeders still in Melbourne, there used to be a couple years ago who I got many very healthy colourful fish from

5. Which LFS in Melbourne have decent discus, often if they do have them they look awful in so many cases as they don't seem to know how to look after them

Any information appreciated

1. I use an Eheim auto feeder and mix in equal portions Tetra bits, Tropical D-Allio Plus and Tropical Discus Gran D-50 Plus. I also throw in 1-2 Hikari frozen blocks a night, random choice of discus, blackworm and some prawn thing

2. I'm in MEL and add Seachem Prime, Stability and Discus Trace for the fish, and Flourish and Flourish Excel for the plants

3. Dunno I only have Forrest discus from Sunnyside

4. None that I have found, see 5

5. Sunnyside for Forrest and Lucky discus or New Life for their own imports

Wrigglers
    Mixing Asian and German discus can be a problem and a few of us on here have experienced this. In particular, Stendker German discus should not be mixed with anything else as they come from a closed facility and have very little resistance to diseases.

Just an Egg
    Keysborough. Mentone and Subscape often get good fish in. Mentone often have Stendkers in stock, but look to pay $500 a pair.

New life, Subscape, oakleigh, Keysborough, Mentone, sunnyside Aquariums.
    Keysborough has just got some beautiful tiger discus in last week. Nearly bought one myself. Was $225 I think.
    Mentone discus are pricey. Subscape is pricey too but good quality.

I know of an importer who has gets great stock in Melbourne too.
    There's a guy on here with a 9ft who buys from him. Nice fish. He gives good deals if you buy a few in one hit.
    I'll try find the guy with the 9ft.

Wrigglers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavzta View Post
    New life, Subscape, oakleigh, Keysborough, Mentone, sunnyside Aquariums.
    Keysborough has just got some beautiful tiger discus in last week. Nearly bought one myself. Was $225 I think.
    Mentone discus are pricey. Subscape is pricey too but good quality.

I know of an importer who has gets great stock in Melbourne too.
    There's a guy on here with a 9ft who buys from him. Nice fish. He gives good deals if you buy a few in one hit.
    I'll try find the guy with the 9ft.

That importer you know Mavzta does he or will he worm/parasite quarantine discus for you?
    If so I will be buying from him
    Rossco

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    That importer you know Mavzta does he or will he worm/parasite quarantine discus for you?
    If so I will be buying from him
    Not sure mate. I've never asked. Mind you I haven't bought off him either yet.
    Let me know if you want his details.
    He sells on gumtree too.

Wrigglers
    great yeah please pm me his details I will chat to him.
    thanks very much.
    He sells from Melbourne?

I saw a gumtree add on discus for sale in perth guy says he treats worms/flukes etc... but that guy told me he doesn't ship to Melbourne sadly.
    Rossco

Just an Egg
    Thanks for all the responses, appreciate them all. Are the Forrest discus good I've heard some good things about them.