Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New discus tank

Just an Egg

New discus tank

Hi All,

I'm in the process of setting up a new discus tank and seeing it's been a few years since I've kept them ask a couple of quick questions.

1. What is a good dry food that can be fed to discus from an automatic feeder?

2. I'm in Melbourne and the water here is pretty good for discus, low gh and kh and neutral ph, does anyone else who has discus in Melbourne add and supplements to the water or just pretty much leave it as is straight from the tap

3. is it a myth or a fact about mixing discus from Asia vs Germany and wilds? I haven't decided what I am looking at yet and it will also depend what is available in Melbourne

- I am pretty sure I mixed all three last time with no issues but don't want to set myself up for trouble.

4. Are there any serious breeders still in Melbourne, there used to be a couple years ago who I got many very healthy colourful fish from

5. Which LFS in Melbourne have decent discus, often if they do have them they look awful in so many cases as they don't seem to know how to look after them

Any information appreciated

1. I use an Eheim auto feeder and mix in equal portions Tetra bits, Tropical D-Allio Plus and Tropical Discus Gran D-50 Plus. I also throw in 1-2 Hikari frozen blocks a night, random choice of discus, blackworm and some prawn thing

2. I'm in MEL and add Seachem Prime, Stability and Discus Trace for the fish, and Flourish and Flourish Excel for the plants

3. Dunno I only have Forrest discus from Sunnyside

4. None that I have found, see 5

5. Sunnyside for Forrest and Lucky discus or New Life for their own imports

Wrigglers
    Mixing Asian and German discus can be a problem and a few of us on here have experienced this. In particular, Stendker German discus should not be mixed with anything else as they come from a closed facility and have very little resistance to diseases.

Just an Egg
    Keysborough. Mentone and Subscape often get good fish in. Mentone often have Stendkers in stock, but look to pay $500 a pair.

New life, Subscape, oakleigh, Keysborough, Mentone, sunnyside Aquariums.
    Keysborough has just got some beautiful tiger discus in last week. Nearly bought one myself. Was $225 I think.
    Mentone discus are pricey. Subscape is pricey too but good quality.

I know of an importer who has gets great stock in Melbourne too.
    There's a guy on here with a 9ft who buys from him. Nice fish. He gives good deals if you buy a few in one hit.
    I'll try find the guy with the 9ft.

Just an Egg
    Thanks for all the responses, appreciate them all. Are the Forrest discus good I've heard some good things about them.

Wrigglers
    some are great some are not so great, I looked at them last weekend. Just look for a good round shape and no kinks/pinched in marks on body . Also watch for flared gills .
    a few I saw were pooing white.
    Bad mistake a few people do is see a nice discus buy it bring it home and you find out its full of internal worms/parasites.
    Please hold onto all new discus you buy in bare bottom tank and observe them for week. They might be scratching on objects or pooing white etc.... so will need to treat them before you place them into your main display tank.
    I got some Rod Lewis Discus arriving tomorrow I cant wait If I am not too lazy I will take pics of them all and post them for you to see.
    Rod is just a superb discus seller, I requested if he can deworm and deparasite them for me, Rod did

Not many discus sellers if any will worm/parasite treat there discus before selling to the public. I wish it was a lot more common practice........... saves me the headache.

Wish you all the best shakadog its a very addictive hobby and very rewarding
    Rossco

Just an Egg
    Yes it is very addictive, my wife does not comprehend at all, yet has a significant qty of handbags and shoes that I don't understand. I am going to be in trouble as I can't set up a separate quarantine tank so haven't figured out how this will work yet. so I need to either find a place that sells good quality and can quarantine and deworm for me before I take possession of them but as you say that is going to be very rare.

This tank is large so will be a nightmare to either catch any non healthy fish or to medicate if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    some are great some are not so great, I looked at them last weekend. Just look for a good round shape and no kinks/pinched in marks on body . Also watch for flared gills .
    a few I saw were pooing white.
    Bad mistake a few people do is see a nice discus buy it bring it home and you find out its full of internal worms/parasites.
    Please hold onto all new discus you buy in bare bottom tank and observe them for week. They might be scratching on objects or pooing white etc.... so will need to treat them before you place them into your main display tank.
    I got some Rod Lewis Discus arriving tomorrow I cant wait If I am not too lazy I will take pics of them all and post them for you to see.
    Rod is just a superb discus seller, I requested if he can deworm and deparasite them for me, Rod did

Not many discus sellers if any will worm/parasite treat there discus before selling to the public. I wish it was a lot more common practice........... saves me the headache.

Wish you all the best shakadog its a very addictive hobby and very rewarding
    Hi Rosco, I've never heard of this Rod Lewis guy.
    Can you share any contact details? Or does he have a website of pics or something?
    Cheers