Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wrigglers
    Top tank trickle filters are used a lot in Asia. They are just a power head that pumps water into a tray of media above the tank. They are a good way to save space if you have tanks on a rack. Not great filters but my fish breed, so they must do ok. I only do 10 per cent water changes on breeder tanks per week.

Just an Egg
    but how many fish are in the tank and how big is it

Wrigglers
    Point taken.
    Have a look at some of Stendkers views on stocking density, filtration and water changes.

Quote Originally Posted by jimstreet View Post
    That's not my experience, they're easy to clean when you use media bags, sure the hoses need a clean occasionally and keep them in a plastic tray to catch any spills.
    I have been using canister filters for over 25 years now, but am looking at going with a sump system in the near future. I think it really does not matter what is used, as long as it gets the job done and keeps the water clean.

Jason

Larvae
    A filter you find easy to clean will get more regular maintenance. That can be a benefit of trickle filters and sponge filters. Sponge filters are ugly as though.
    Ben

Just an Egg
    With my triclle filter, the only maintenance is rinsing out the pre filter pad. Pick it up, wash it out place it back onto the drip plate. Too easy, no ring seals to worry about, water on the floor, or hoses to worry about.