Just an Egg

Substrate for discus display tank

As the title says what would you all recomended , the tank will have quite a lot of wood in it and Anubis, ferns and probably crypts so need something for the crypts to grow in.

Was thinking of just using washed sand but happy for some advice, thanks

Washed play sand from Bunnings or Washed pool filter sand from Clark Rubber (Unicorn brand). Fert blocks for the plants.

Wrigglers
    Be very careful of Bunnings sand as it is not always what it seems. It can dramatically raise your pH. Use fine washed river sand from a nursery. My advice would be to use only a thin layer and find a new home for your crypts.

Just an Egg
    Thanks for the responses, I haven't got any plants at all yet, new tank just arrived yesterday so all in the process of being set up.

Wrigglers
    Hi Shaka,

I've got a lot of crypts in mine amongst other plants. I have a fine natural brown gravel. Just a tip if you go down the gravel path that most cities have an industrial mineral supplier. I saved heaps by going to Cook Industrial Minerals in Western Australia. I've got a 100 plus kg and saved a lot buying bulk bags. I'm looking into the Walstad method also which involves buying a RECOMMENDED easily available potting mix (definitely not just any one). There's a Miracle Gro one that's available in Oz. Having it under the gravel, I have a big clean up crew, Corys, Bristle Nose cats, Tetras etc to do the daily clean up work. I just do a weekly vac and big water change. Hope it helps,

Cheers

Wrigglers
    Hi Shaka,

I've got a lot of crypts in mine amongst other plants. I have a fine natural brown gravel. Just a tip if you go down the gravel path that most cities have an industrial mineral supplier. I saved heaps by going to Cook Industrial Minerals in Western Australia. I've got 100 plus kg and saved a lot buying bulk bags. I'm looking into the Walstad method also which involves buying a RECOMMENDED easily available potting mix (definitely not just any one). There's a Miracle Gro one that's available in Oz. Having it under the gravel, I have a big clean up crew, Corys, Bristle Nose cats, Tetras etc to do the daily clean up work. I just do a weekly vac and big water change. Hope it helps,

Cheers

Wrigglers
    Hi,

Not sure what happened there re the double post?

Cheers

Hey Hooked, how do the corys and bristlenose get along? I've got 2 BN and thinking of getting some corys also...

Quote Originally Posted by jimstreet View Post
    Washed play sand from Bunnings or Washed pool filter sand from Clark Rubber (Unicorn brand). Fert blocks for the plants.
    this is a great recipe, the sand is fine enough that food doesn't penetrate more then the top few mm, its corse enough that it wont compact go anaerobic, its nice and bright so it reflects more light within your tank making the most of light for your plants and making your tank look bigger. You will have no issue with swords or crypts in it, a clay ball or a little dino dung and you'll be set.

Wrigglers
    Hi Jim,
    They get along fine. Pretty much keep to themselves. They are a good addition to a clean up crew. I have Cardinal Tetras and Rummy Nose Tetras also for the mid water, fine food clean up. Tetras in large schools look great. Good luck,

Cheers