Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Added some Blue Rams the other week, they liked the tank so much they decided to breed

Fry video click here

SnakeSkin Discus
    mate thats awesome!!!!! well done. its easy to get them to spawn but actually getting fry is a lot harder then people think you should be pumped.

Dont be surprised if they get eaten up though. Youve progressed miles from when you first started should be really happy with what youve created!
    Nathan

Thanks Nathan, the fry didn't last the night however the wife has now agreed that I can keep the quarantine tank inside and turn it into a breeding tank

SnakeSkin Discus
    youve converted her!! this is only the beginning!!!
    Nathan

What a debacle of a day

Wife and son went out for the day so I was having some quality time with the tanks. Plan was to clean canister #2 in the discus tank, water change and give it a trim. I also planned to setup the quarantine tank and stick the anubias I bought to a piece of driftwood.

I found a nice piece of driftwood from Petbarn of all places, pressure washed it and had it drying along with the anubias in preparation for sticking them to the driftwood. All was going well until I heard that fateful snap when I took the impeller out of the 2217 powerhead. I knew I had snapped the ceramic shaft. No problem I'll use the spare. Bugger, I used the spare shaft and impeller when I refurbished the other filter. Emergency call to Coburg Aquarium and they had one. Jump in the car, grab shaft, return and put it back together problem solved. Unfortunately it was then I remembered I had the driftwood and anubias out drying off. The anubias had already started to shrivel up and wilt. I stuck them to the driftwood anyway and I am hoping for the best.

Moral of the story is, if you use your spare anything remember to replace it!

Last edited by jimstreet; Sun Jan 25, 2015 at 06:09 AM.

Came home tonight to a sick looking discus. He sees to have some white skin hanging from his gills, any ideas what it is? Otherwise appears ok and they have been playing 'who's the boss' again.

Wrigglers
    Not looking very happy. Maybe give it 24hrs and see how it is. It looks to me like you have only 5 fish? Maybe you need some more to spread the aggression. Just don't tell your other half that I told you to do it!

Yep only 5 discus, they're normally ok, every now and then they have some biffo. I'll check in on him in the morning.

SnakeSkin Discus
    possibly flukes? Id slowly increase the temp just in case it is an illness as a prophylaxis. keep us updated
    Nathan

I initially thought flukes but that usually looks different, there's no redness or holes that I can see. Yesterday he was still swimming happily however a little dark and the skin piece had all but gone. I've been changing 20% of the water each night too. I might up the temp as you suggested.