Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    SnakeSkin Discus
    thats a great sign that they are eating like crazy. They are beauties! if you have problems with them taking new food usually mixing it with some food they already take can help, with my bloodworms (frozen) i actually put them in hot water to defrost then add them slowly to make sure they get eaten and a huge chunk doesnt get stuck under plants, also very few float then. so try soaking them in a cup of water before putting them in the tank, should help resolve the floating.

let us know how you go with it
    Nathan

I am too embarrassed to show a picture of the tank at the moment. I've been chasing a now you see it now you don't slightest Ammonia reading. I am now just using Prime to ensure it wasn't any of the discus trace, stability, clarity etc. I was also adding. The water isn't cloudy but it is full of 'bits', that's the best description I can come up with. I replaced the Purigen with Biozorb this weekend, did a vacuum and 20% water change yesterday and today. There is still 'bits' floating around in the water. The fish are doing well and it doesn't seem to bother them. One of the discus is hiding a fair bit but he doesn't have any outward signs of anything untoward. I plan to do a daily 10% water change and vacuum until I can get it under control. Plants are also covered in a white slimy ball like covering. I can only assume the tank wasn't 100% cycled with the cardinals, even though they were in for a month prior, and the discus pushed it over the edge.

Latest pic with a new edition, a Forrest Flamingo Throwback.

I still have 'bits' in the water so I acquired a 2nd 2217 which I'll setup for fine filtration.

Now running twin 2217s, install went fine except for a mouthful of fish tank water

Hopefully this clears up the 'bits' in the water as I added some fine filter wool to the new filter.

SnakeSkin Discus
    its looking great. are you able to take a pic of the floating bits? and the slime on the plants?

It sounds normal for a new tank, youll likely if not already have had brown algae as well.

The second filter is a great idea, i think its best you got it anyway for a tank that size, will increase water flow and you dont need to stress to much about ammonia etc.
    Nathan

This would have to be my all time favourite discus tank...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYArrIaSi-c#t=13

Here you go Nathan, as my tank is today. I ripped out the air diffusers and air line as the fish are doing fine with just surface agitation from the filter outflows. Dusty slime on the plants appears to have cleared up now thanks to the 2nd filter. In fact I am surprised at the general cleanliness of the substrate since I added the 2nd filter. I used to vacuum heaps of big poops out of the tank, now there are minimal. They can't all be getting sucked into the filter...

I added some river stones to soften the look of the tank

Also found this discus fish room video that is just nuts!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk_1DAqj5gY

SnakeSkin Discus
    Looking great. Might want to add some ottos, great with Algae films on plants and wood.
    Nathan

Thanks Nathan, I was thinking about some Ottos. I have added some juvenile SAE so I'll see how they go. I also added some Sterbai's but the discus have taken a liking to their eyes and killed 2 of 5.