Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks Nathan, I am running a plain old Aqua One single T8 40W unit. I have it on for about 4 hours per weekday and 12 hours per day on the weekend. I started to get some blackbeard but double dose of flourish every 3-4 days seems to have it under control and looks after the swords. Very low tech/low light tank

Discus have been 'reserved' at the aquarium, final water test tonight. I know discus like acidic water, but is the pH too acidic?

Latest pic of the tank, that Purigen sure does a good job.

The guys at Sunnyside said the pH is too low and I have some regulator to get it up a bit.

Therefore no fish today but I did pay a deposit and take some pics. I have 2 of each, sorry for out of focus phone pics.

A 10% water change plus a teaspoon of Seachem pH Regulator and the pH is now bang on 6.4. I'll keep an eye on it next week and hopefilly next weekend it will be right for the discus.

Also moved the spray bar to the short edge. Due to the lack of width in the tank, flow is being minimised due to the hose connecting the spray bar and the outlet pipe is a little kinked. Any ideas for a better way of doing it? It has really dropped the current in the tank so I am happy with the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jimstreet View Post
    A 10% water change plus a teaspoon of Seachem pH Regulator and the pH is now bang on 6.4. I'll keep an eye on it next week and hopefilly next weekend it will be right for the discus.
    I have been playing with the pH over the last few days. I can get it to 6.4 with a small water change and adding some regulator however, in a day it is back at 6.0. Now in all the reading I have done about discus it says they can survive at this pH and it isn't so much about the level but the consistency of the level. Given my tank is consistently at 6.0 I am thinking should be ok. Thoughts?

Quote from http://www.sydneydiscusworld.com/dis...-need-to-know/
    The main water parameters that must be maintained in a Discus aquarium are:
    •Temperature: 28-31 degrees Celsius
    •pH: 5.0-6.5
    •Hardness: 3 to 10° dGH.
    •Zero level of Nitrate

Hi, I'm New Here!
    6.0 is fine.. Stability is extremely important, as is the rate of change if you wish to adjust it. It must be done slowly over a period of a couple of days at best.

If your tank is stable at 6.0, then your fish will be happy.

Discus are now investigating their new home...

SnakeSkin Discus
    put the light on 6-8 hours a day everyday, specially you now have fish in there. rather then double dosing flourish when there becomes a problem its much better to try prevent it. i have mine come on at 1pm an go off at 9pm which is when im around the house the most
    Nathan

Thanks Nathan, I really need to pull my finger out and program the light timer.

Is it just mine or are discus pigs when it comes to food? They are always hungry and really get stuck into their food. They're as bad as my son's goldfish.

I am trying to add some new food into the discus' diet. They really go for the Tetra Color Bits and have no problem eating them as it sinks, or from the bottom of the tank. I tried them on some Aussie Blackworms this morning, stuck to the side of the tank as directed. They went mad for it when it was stuck to the tank but any bits that ended up floating they didn't eat. Is this a perseverance thing or is there a trick to getting them to eat the floating worms?