Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

The 'eBay' tank...

Following on from my intro thread. I bought a 48x20x14 complete setup on eBay, came with tank, stand, hood, 2217, light, driftwood, plants. I then swapped out the stand and hood for another I found on gumtree.

Finally had the time today to clean it up and relocate from the garage into the dining room. I added some river sand, I also bought off gumtree, and topped it up with some Bunnings play sand. Don't know if I am 100% on the driftwood yet.

Plan is 20 cardinal tetras, a couple of bristlenose and 6 discus, planted with some swords. Inspiration is Mavzta's tank.

Looking good mate. You must be pumped now it's inside the house!
    Thanks for your kind words regarding my tank.
    I bought some Anubis yesterday. I'm loving it! So are the fish...

Looks great Mavzta.

I don't have the depth of your tank so I need to think carefully about driftwood/plant placement. Current thinking is to have the left hand side with high driftwood and high plants as an area for the fish to hide. The right hand side low driftwood and low plants for them to free swim, stretch their legs so to speak. Dunno if that is correct but seems logical to me.

I also have the filter intake on the left hand side and the spray bar on the right hand side pointing down. Thinking it will create a mild current/eddie for them. The heater is on the right hand side but that's the side you can see from the kitchen, so thinking of moving it to the left hand side. Again dunno if that is correct but seems logical to me.

Tank is now full, the play sand has made the water very cloudy, I am hoping within a day or so it will be clear. The large piece of driftwood has decided to float so I need to wait for it to sink. Waiting on a shipment of Purigen and Flourish tabs to finish it off.

SnakeSkin Discus
    It might be just me but it looks like it's missing something. More driftwood or rocks would make it look more 'natural'. Just my opinion
    Nathan

Thanks Nathan, I am still not 100% on the driftwood either. I was hoping to find a long low piece to leave lots of free space for the discus to swim.

I have noticed I missed some algae when cleaning the driftwood and there is some algae on the plants.

As I have no fish and haven't cycled the tank yet, any ideas on how to 'nuke' it?

Purigen in the canister, tank replanted with flourish tabs, 50% water change, spray bar moved to horizontal from vertical, give it a day to clear and then time to cycle!

Water is much clearer now. All levels going ok, cycle going well, I am using Stability as directed. I added some inhabitants, some bristlenose and cardinals to get the bacteria going.

Getting close to adding some discus, Sunnyside's shipment is in the country, now just a couple of weeks in quarantine, then they're ready for sale.

SnakeSkin Discus
    Looking good! What sort of light do you have? How long you have it on for? Just Don't want to run into 'new tank syndrome' with Algae specially on that beautiful white sand. I definitely had problems with mine during establishment. Tank will look fantastic with discus, excited to see them!
    Nathan