Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New member from MEL

Hi all, Mavzta suggested I join and have a look around as I am considering setting up a Discus tank.

A bit about me - my first casual job was in an aquarium where I learnt a lot and had a 2 foot tropical tank. Fast forward 30 years and I recently purchased an all-in-one 40L tank with some goldfish for my 3yo son. This has got me re-interested in fish keeping and as I always wanted a Discus tank I am thinking why not.

I am considering a 4 foot tank but can't decide on 4 foot x 14 or 4 foot x 14, both 20 high.

Any and all tips gratefully accepted.

Just an Egg
    hi
    ill go with the bigger tank it will be better for the fish that way
    and like u need 40-50 litres per.discus
    and the 4x14x20 is only about 210L.
    the 4x18x20 is about 300L.
    or u can go with a 4x2x2 that's about 450L.
    I myself would go with the 4x2x2 u can have more in it
    or u can go with a 6ft also
    yanke

Good to see you on here Jimstreet.
    I think a 4x2x2 is a good size also. You'll be grateful later I think.

Thanks for the welcome. I know a bigger thank is better but I am trying to do this on the cheap, I have lots of other expensive hobbies such as a 4wd/camper/3yo son, hence I need to keep the financial controller (wife) happy. I have found a reasonably priced 2nd hand 4 x 14 x 20 setup that I will get a new filter/heater/pump etc. I can also manage the 210L easier for water changes etc. It's a tough decision as I really want the 4x2x2.

Quote Originally Posted by jimstreet View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I know a bigger thank is better but I am trying to do this on the cheap, I have lots of other expensive hobbies such as a 4wd/camper/3yo son, hence I need to keep the financial controller (wife) happy. I have found a reasonably priced 2nd hand 4 x 14 x 20 setup that I will get a new filter/heater/pump etc. I can also manage the 210L easier for water changes etc. It's a tough decision as I really want the 4x2x2.
    I hear ya brother!

Free Swimmer
    I need to keep the financial controller (wife) happy.....It's a tough decision as I really want the 4x2x2.
    Seriously, the 4x2x2 will work out cheaper in the long run. Why?
    Its what you want, so wait a little longer and get it. Cheaper than buying a smaller tank now and upgrading later;
    It carries more water, so will be more stable needing less mucking around and less chance of losing expensive livestock, also less susceptible to temperature changes putting less load on the heater;
    If you stock it at a similar level to the 210l, you will do the same amount of water change (litres) but a smaller percentage therefore less stressful for the fish;
    Perhaps purchasing used (but recognised brand name) filters, heaters and lights you may be able to afford a new 4x2x2 tank in your budget.

Anyway, with patience I'm sure an equally well priced 4x2x2 will come up.

Cheers,
    Scott

eBay is annoying me at the moment, I have found a 4x2x2 setup but the stand is too low, I have found another setup with the stand I like but the tank is too small...

eBay is annoying me at the moment, I have found a 4x2x2 setup but the stand is too low, I have found another setup with the stand I like but the tank is too small...
    Are you handy at building at all? Or even have a mate that is? I built my stand and cabinet with my father in law.
    Pretty happy with it. Maybe think about it as an option.

That's not a silly idea at all

Free Swimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavzta View Post
    I built my stand and cabinet with my father in law. Pretty happy with it. Maybe think about it as an option.
    I was really happy with the third stand I built