Just an Egg

Need to change lights - What do I do?

Hi

We currently have a planted 6x2x2 discus tank. The tank grows java fern, baby tears, swords, anubius, crypts and a few other plants. It's inhabitants are a number of discus, school of rummy nose tetras, a few bristlenoses, a couple of bronze catfish, and a kuhli loach.

The tank has a custom built timber stand and cupboard with a matching hood. The hood houses three 150w metal halide lights. They are shop fitters (rectangular light that they use is shop fits) They have sylvania arc 10000k bulbs in them.

They are about 10 years old (bulbs replaced regular intervals). I am sure technology has changed since then. I also need to decrease the power they are using because I power bill is huge. Esp with these three 150W running 8-10 hours a day.

So...what lights should I replace them with? LEDs? Can I grow plants with LED's? I am not handy in that I cannot just make something up but if some one has a plan and tell me exactly what to do I could build my own.

I need light to run cheaply, grow plants and show fish colours off. Please help.

Thanks

Debbie
    Ben and Debbie

While I am sure others will chime in, If you want to make the switch, LED is the way to go. They run way cooler, way cheaper (at least to run), and yes, you can grow plants with them. On a side note, it seems that some drug dealers have even made the switch. As to a plan, I have seen really slim line lights that you may be able to retro fit into your existing hoods. When you decide what to go with, please let us know what you decided on.

Jason

SnakeSkin Discus
    L.E.D seems to be the new craze for lighting, certainly cheaper in regards to running costs. If you decide not to go with diy L.E.D lights quality units are quite costly, the units themselves can be very slimline and would certainly fit under any hood on a cabinet.

I've tried both L.E.D and t5, I'll be sticking with t5 HO fluorescent for the time being. They've been around for a long time, reliable, a well established amount of data, research and effectiveness around. As led lights are relatively new there isn't as much info out there.

It's a big changing trend these days going with led lights specially considering the low running costs, I think it's something around 15-20% cost to normal lighting.
    Nathan

Just an Egg
    but with L.E.D. u pay big time for the light that's a good one
    there are some not good ones out there also
    I am not paying $300-$500 for 1 light for a tank
    I can get t5s. for a lot less and they work as good I think
    yanke

Free Swimmer
    Debbie,

If you've been running 150w metal halides you'll be needing a top end T5HO unit to come close, for which you will be up for well over $300 to cover a six footer e.g. something like an ATI Sunpower at $959.00. Then you need to replace all six tubes annually, with quality 80w tubes like Giesemann costing $250 for a six pack. And you are still pulling 480w as opposed to the 450w you were using.

On the other hand they are all low light plants you are growing, so you could get away with something more modest...say 4 x 54w T5HO tubes.

LED lights, just like fluoro's, come in a number of price ranges with the benefit of not needing annual replacement. For your 6 footer a Maxspect Razor would be as bright as your metal halides, allow you to grow hi-light plants and only pull around 200w. Downside is an initial investment of $1200. If you ever get over to Melbourne you can see them at Exotic Aquatic in Carnegie or Nature Aquariums in Mont Albert. Alternately you'll see them hanging over the tanks on EA's facebook page.

Another option could be a LEDZeal Malibu S400 at around $700 which uses 300w. This is fairly new on the Aussie scene, though there are some good write-ups on various US forums. This is purchased directly from the manufacturer in China and has the nice benefit of being able to mix and match light wavelengths to suit your needs.

The main benefit of the LEDs however is the ability to program them - the time they come on/off, varying intensity during the photoperiod, even moonlight or thunderstorm simulations.

Then there is a raft of cheaper alternatives, all really depends on what result you are chasing.

Cheers,
    Scott

SnakeSkin Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoti View Post
    Debbie,

If you've been running 150w metal halides you'll be needing a top end T5HO unit to come close, for which you will be up for well over $300 to cover a six footer e.g. something like an ATI Sunpower at $959.00. Then you need to replace all six tubes annually, with quality 80w tubes like Giesemann costing $250 for a six pack. And you are still pulling 480w as opposed to the 450w you were using.

On the other hand they are all low light plants you are growing, so you could get away with something more modest...say 4 x 54w T5HO tubes
    You certainly dont need 6 t5 tubes, 4 would do the job perfectly. As for needing a high end T5 lighting unit like ATI thats also unnecessary. Admittedly i do have one on my 3ft tank and love it but if it was going to be under a hood i wouldnt have gotten something like that as it really adds to the aesthetics.

The maxspect razor has fantastic reviews but the upfront cost is a little high for me. LEDs are starting to make a bigger splash in aus and more an more models are becoming availabe. Me personally i want the ecoxotic LED.

I think the best solution to your dilemma is deciding a budget and going from there as will help narrow the choices, but remember a 6ft long tank is going to be an expensive light whichever way you look at it

keep us updates
    Nathan

Just an Egg
    I picked up a aqua one plantglo led for a 3ft
    and it is working good
    I know it is not a good as some of them out there
    but for 3ft with low light plants and guppies (its the wife tank)
    and it is only 38w to run it I had 2 t8 on it
    I wanted to see how the led worked and looked
    so no I may change all my tanks over and I have 18 of them
    yanke

Just an Egg
    Hi Yanke a lot of people on youtube are you using LED SMD Flood Wash Light it's the cheaper alternative and they work great with plants here is a link from eBay for the Led.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-20W-Co...74e5e66&_uhb=1

Hi, I'm New Here!

Photos please

Anyone have any photos of their tanks using LED floodlights?