Breeding in a community tank

Hi there, I just noticed about half an hr ago that my discus are spawning for the first time.
    Yes I'm a very excited puppy just to even witness that!
    Although, I know they're not going to get much of a chance to survive. (Spewin)
    I have 7 discus in the tank aswell as other community fish.
    Has anyone had any luck raising fry in a community tank?

Just an Egg
    Its not going to happen mate they will get eaten. Your best bet is a divider if you have no other option, bunnings acrylic 3mm sheet very easy to score and snap to size

Larvae
    let them spawn at least 5/6 times in your main tank, this generally makes for very protective pair, then if possible transfer to a smaller 18x18 tank and enjoy the better odds of your fish raising there first batch.good luck

Thanks for your reply guys.
    They did get eaten. I expected it but I can't help but feel disappointed.
    I'll think about that acrylic sheet. Thanks.
    It's funny, I've got an empty tank just under 3ft which I shut down coz I up sized and it's up for sale.
    I'd love to set it up again to breed but don't want it running for nothing most of the time. Waste of money.
    I see your in Berwick Discus 41, me too....

I bought that perspex sheet today and divided the tank. Also put a breeding cone in.
    Have put a black semi transparent garbage bag on the hood glass so it's not so bright.
    See what happens...... Wish them luck.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hello, Have they laid again for you Yet? Any Signs?

Quote Originally Posted by leahlollypop View Post
    Hello, Have they laid again for you Yet? Any Signs?
    Hi, sorry for the late reply I had problems with my login.
    Yes they have laid a few times but have always been eaten.
    I had a major problem in the tank not long ago where I had to medicate quickly because they were at deaths door.
    So I have changed things back to normal after they recovered.
    Meaning I took the Perspex divider out.
    More eggs were laid after that still and then the next lot were laid with a different male!
    I didn't know they did that. Anyway short story is the eggs keep being eaten which I expect but I'm not going
    to pursue any breeding. It's my display tank. Although I do have an empty tank sitting there......