Hi, I'm New Here!

Broken Cannister - Will the Bcateria survive?

Gday All

I busted an impeller on one of my 2217's following a filter clean over the weekend and I was wandering how long the bacteria will last. I live in Darwin and there are no replacements in town so I've had to order one in (and a spare!) which will be late this week. I could potentially interchange the cannister with the remaining filter or will the bacteria survive a few days without circulation? At the moment I've just filled it with tank water.

nope it will start to die off after a few hours.

do you have another tank at all? if so you can use some of its filter media to restart your broken canister.

If that is the case i would thoroughly wash to media from the broken canister and even let it air dry in the sun for a couple of days. when you get the part refill your canister with mostly clean dry media and a little from a cycled filter. your filter would take about 2 weeks to be fully cycled

you could also buy a air driven sponge filter and get that going now. at least it will start to cycle while you wait for the part

hope that helps
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>