Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this overkill ?

Hi All,

Im just throwing some ideas around for when I tranfer my juvi's in to the 4x2x2. Here's what im thinking.

4x2x2 Tank
    1 x 2217 Eheim Canister
    1 x 2215 Eheim Canister
    2 x 400W Hydor THEO Heaters
    1 x CoraLife Turbo Twist 9w UV
    1 x CoraLife Turbo Twist 18w UV
    2 x Standard Air Stones

I have all these bits except the 18w UV. I would put the 18w UV on the output of the 2217 and the 9w on the output of the 2215. The flow rates match for this kind of set up. This set up will house 13 discus, which is 1 over what is recommended maximum for a 120G tank, hence the filter set up. I didn't want to run both filters with only one having a UV on the output.

How does this set up sound ? Anything I should keep in mind ?

Cheers,

Dee.

Dee, I would be happy to live in a tank like that! It sounds perfect. :P
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi Merrilyn,

Thanks for the prompt reply

I was also thinking that I would get another set of the Eheim quick release tap thingy's and use them to connect the UV's. If for any reason (cleaning etc), I could just whip the UV's out and easily keep the filters hooked up ... If that makes sense.

Do you think that set up will happily house 13 Discus, with 30% WC's every second day ofcourse.

Cheers,

Dee

Tiny Fry
    Instead on the 2 eheim get yourself a trickle filter

Thirteen will be fine in there. The quick release hoses will make cleaning a lot easier. I've never had a problem with water leakage from my eheim fittings.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi PSX,

I'm going with the 2 Eheims because I already have them. Need to keep my funds for the 18W corlife i'm about to order

Merrilyn,

Thanks for the reply, didnt wan't to have any overcrowding problems. IMO Eheims are fantastic, I've been running the 2217 for about 3 years straight now without one single hitch .... love em !

Cheers,

Dee.

Wrigglers
    to save your money on an extra UV
    u can try getting a 2 to 1 pipe from bunnings and connect both of them into one UV..

and you could also get tap switches from bunnings that are alot cheaper than the eheim one..

thats not to say that ehiem ones arent great.. they are.. but over $100AU is just a little pricey for me.

Just my opinion..
    Cheers
    Eric

Wrigglers
    I have two eheim canister filters - one each end of my tank, with a U.V. attached to only one of them. Merrilyn reckons this is O.K.
    Those little taps from Bunnings can spring the occassional leak after a bit of switching on/off, but they are cheap enough to replace. I found a set of hose joiners that eheim make, which aren't too expensive, so have combined these with Bunnings valves.

Whats the litre rating on the 9watt?? If its enough too sterilise the tank then id try a joint hose into the one UV.....Then again new toys are fun..

Scott AKA - Flukes

Hi scott,

The litre rating on the 9w CoraLife UV matches my Eheim 2215 and the litre rating on the Coralife 18w UV matches my 2217. I already have a 2217,2215 and 9w UV and just need to get the 18w UV. Spencer from the forum pointed me to a online aqaurium store in singapore that ships 220-240 UV's to AU, they also have the Eheim connectors for about $30 a pair. Im going to use a set of the Eheim connector's so i can place the UV's in line on the output hose with minimal fuss, just disconnect and reconnect with the UV inline, no need to change connectors ect.

Cheers,

Dee