Hi, I'm New Here!

Beginner (need help please!)

hey, guys i am a beginner to discus fish, but experienced with cichilds and other species of fish.

to begin with what water chemicals do i need, i assume i at least need ph, nitrate, ammonia but are there any more that ensure my fish will be heathly and happy to breed.

2. how many and what % of water changes do you do per week.

3. do you recommend planted tank or normal?

4. i have a 182 litre tank (55 g) how many fish should i put in that tank, if i want them to breed in that same tank?

5. any particular species that you guys like?

6. do you guys have a good breeder who can ship around australia, with good quality fish?

7. any tank mates, or will they disturb the breeding fish?

8. what plants should i use?

9. what gravel and substrate?

10. how much light per day?

11. what and how much food?

Thanks so much, to whoever answers!!!

Wrigglers
    Welcome to the forum

Discus are easy and your experience with other fish will mean you should have few problems.

Keep your water between 27-30 (27 to breed).
    pH between 6.5 – 7.5
    I am sure you are already know all about filtration etc, so the key difference is that discus don’t like strong water current, particularly when breeding.

Discus don’t need bright light, so the amount of light is more relevant to your plants and what you like in terms of viewing.

Feed them a mix of discus pellets, frozen beef heart and frozen or freeze dried blood worms.

I breed discus and only do 20% water changes per week. However, if you are growing out fish you need to do more to increase their growth.

Use Prime to remove chlorine from tap water and don’t use any other chemicals.

Place a thin layer of white sand on the bottom of the tank. You must use sand that is very fine and one that will not raise your pH. Use drift wood and anubius plants zip locked to the wood or amazon swords in pots.

If you want to grow up smaller fish you will need at least 6 to spread aggression but they will fight and establish a pecking order like any other cichlid. I don’t recommend doing this – I will come back to why.

The only fish you can keep with them if breeding are small catfish like corydorus (max of 5 in that size tank).

Now –a few things I have learned over the years.

Growing up fish is hard work. They fight, they get sick and they often don’t end up looking like the fish you really wanted. I can almost guarantee in the long run you will spend more money this way.

Larger fish 11 cm + are usually healthier, more relaxed and easier to keep. You know exactly what they will look like and can normally tell if they are sick. They are more expensive up front but will cost you less in the long run.
    Don’t mix fish of different colours, it looks crap. It always looks better when the fish in your tank are all similar.

If you tell us what city you live in people will be able to tell you where to get good fish.

Hope this helps

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thank you very much for that help!, i am from canberra, australia. thanks agian

Hi, I'm New Here!
    great post mattgoanna!!!