Hi, I'm New Here!

Question PH down for breeding?

Hello there,
    I have 3 couples of discus who made eggs in my tank, but none of them never ended-up having wrigglers. The eggs look dead afer 3 days, white opaque.
    My PH is at 7 and I wonder if this is the cause of the eggs to die.

Should I go with Co2 to lower the PH? If so how big of a Co2 system should I go for a 400L, or a breeding 100L tank?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Ph 7 should be fine as long as its stable. Certainly won't kill eggs. Mine hatch in 6.8 to 7 without any problems. Hardness is another matter and I prefer the TDS to be less than 100. Much over this and fertilisation rates seem to drop. One pair per 100 litre tank would be about right with a sponge filter, no need for CO2. If the fish are young, especially the male they may take a few more tries to hatch wigglers. Be patient they will get it right soon enough. The 400 litre tank best left as a display tank (or a huge grow out tank).

cheers
    Brian
    Tasdiscus

Wrigglers
    Hi Canadian Kiwi,

One other thing to think about is that females will sometimes pair up, one lays eggs and the other will go through the motions of fertilizing them. Of course they are not fertilized and will turn white after a short time.
    Another thing is that fungus can kill the eggs. If they are white and a little fuzzy then could be that? Lowering ph to 6 will help to inhibit the fungus and it also promotes the slime coat on the parents side that the free swimming fry will later feed on.
    The general considered size for Discus breeding is a 2ft x 2ft x 2ft which is about 200lts. They will breed in all sizes of course though. Too small a tank and the water parameters can perhaps change to quickly if things start to go wrong, too big a tank and the parents have to cover a lot of ground to gather up wayward fry.
    I know people that breed in the high 7's and people that breed in the low 6's. Some in straight tap water. Some in R.O water and others in a rain water and tap water mix. The secret is being consistent and stable with your ph over an extended period. You don't seem to have any major probs in this area as your fish are laying.
    Save the Co2 for the planted tanks. I use Hydrochloric acid for lowering my ph. Its cheap and doesn't add to the Total Dissolved solids like Ph Down will. As Tasdiscus recommended perhaps do a bit of research into your hardness. Your on the right track, good luck,

Cheers