Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello peeps from New Zealand

Hi All, I have kept tropical fish all my life pretty much but only for the last year started my new love of discus.
    I have had a bit of heartache along the way with a couple and now have a thriving 500 lt tank thanks to some tips i found on here.
    I have used this site quite a bit already to solve a few issues and will def carry on.
    love reading the posts and looking at everyones pictures.

cheers
    Leah

Hi Leah,

Thanks for joining our community. Just wondering if you have any pictures of your tank? I for one would love to see them.

Jason

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Jason, I will try and remember to take some tonight. cheers leah

Welcome Leah, So glad you have found some answers to your question on the forum. Lots of lovely, knowledgable people on here, all happy to help newcomers
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thank you. Sorry i keep forgetting to take pictures of my tank. I have a quite a tallish planted tank with loads of lighting but still seem to be unsuccessful at growing plants in it. It used to be great but in the last 6 months my plants seem to be not doing so well. so it looks a little bare. even with ferts.
    I will take some pictures when my battery recharges on my camera so you guys have an idea of what i am talking about.

watch this space. maybe i will start a new thread about it to see if someone can tell me where i am going wrong all of a sudden.

cheers people

Wrigglers
    Hi Leah,

Welcome to the forum! I've been down the planted tank path also this last year. Black Beard Algae has been my biggest hassle. All the best with your plants, : )

Cheers

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S1450002.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	20659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S1440015.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	20660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050167.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	20661

here is a picci of my tank, as you can see the plants are not doing too great and thats even with ferts but hey ho.
    Its nothing special but i love it.
    The red maps (what we call them here in nz) i have grown from 3cm and now they are maybe 5 inches or so. they are 10 months old. The bottom pic is of my turqs. i lost the female unfortunately and i could of cried. I still have the big fella but since his bit of stuff passed i am constantly having to fish him back out the main tank to be treated for something.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    yep the only thing i have found to stop that is the algae blocks you can buy. the look like blue chocolate ha ha god knows why it works but it does