Hi, I'm New Here!

Free swimming fry

Hi, I am new to this forum so I am not sure I am putting this in the right place or not but hoping someone will be able to help. We have a breeding pair of discus but the female enjoys eating the fry so we separate them after hatching. The male is very good with looking after them but the issue we have is that the fry do not become free swimming so we lose them all on the cone. Is there something we are doing wrong or can we do something else to encourage them to free swim and attach to the male.? The pair we have are only young but very keen, they have had about 6 attempts , they are laying good numbers of eggs and good hatch rate.

Thank you for any help or advice I can get.

Hi Bender and welcome. Can you provide a bit more information on what's happening with your fry. Do you mean that the eggs are hatching, and you can sees wrigglers clinging to the cone, but they never manage to leave and die on the cone, or are they disappearing from the cone after they hatch. Could it be that dad is eating them as soon as they become free swimming? Is the tank planted, and the fry getting lost amongst the plants before they have a chance to attach?

Some information about your tank, size, water parameters (please don't just say the water is fine - we need to know the actual details to be able to help) and your water change routine. If you can manage, a photo would be very helpful too. Hopefully with a bit more info, we can help you sort this out
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Wrigglers
    Agree it would be good to get more details on water chemistry.
    It is not unusual for them to do this for the first 5-6 breeding attempts. I just lost a big spawn myself on the fifth attempt.
    I become increasingly convinced (based on my own observations) that a slightly acidic pH and softer water increase the health of the fry on hatching and they are less likely to be eaten.
    A couple of suggestions for you:
    1. Use Indian Almond leaves to condition the water
    2. Do not remove the female – it just increases the stress
    3. Reduce the level of light if it is very bright
    4. Make sure the pair is not disturbed. You could even cover half of the front of the tank
    5. Make sure there is very little current in the tank
    6. Place one or two small corydorus in the tank with a few places for them to hide. The pair will go after them and increase their drive to protect the young.
    7. Feed the pair as per normal while they are looking after eggs and young
    Hope this helps
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattgoanna View Post
    Agree it would be good to get more details on water chemistry.
    It is not unusual for them to do this for the first 5-6 breeding attempts. I just lost a big spawn myself on the fifth attempt.
    I become increasingly convinced (based on my own observations) that a slightly acidic pH and softer water increase the health of the fry on hatching and they are less likely to be eaten.
    A couple of suggestions for you:
    1. Use Indian Almond leaves to condition the water
    2. Do not remove the female – it just increases the stress
    3. Reduce the level of light if it is very bright
    4. Make sure the pair is not disturbed. You could even cover half of the front of the tank
    5. Make sure there is very little current in the tank
    6. Place one or two small corydorus in the tank with a few places for them to hide. The pair will go after them and increase their drive to protect the young.
    7. Feed the pair as per normal while they are looking after eggs and young
    Hope this helps
    Matt
    excellent advice
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>