Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DiscusForums.com - Under New Management

Effective as of today, 13th, December 2013, DiscusForums.com is now under new management.

Almost 10 years ago we kicked off things here, with the view to provide and excellent resource for hobbyists around the world who enjoy the challenges of keeping fish, especially Discus, IMO the King of the Aquarium.

Over the years there have been some changes, people have come and gone, there have been highs, and lows, and overall it has been a pleasure to keep this resource online for people to share.

Due to time restraints, and not enough hours in the day, sadly a lot of the housekeeping, updating things has fallen by the wayside, and with this in mind we wanted the website to stay online, and hopefully grow into what it was some years ago, at the same time discussions behind the scenes were taking place, and we are happy to say the new owner/admin has a lot in store for this, and other aquarium related forums they operate.

I will allow them to introduce themselves, they will be taking over the "Admin" username (which they may change).

To all those I have met, it has been an honour, and to those I have had regular contact with online, thank you…

Onwards and Upwards.

Rohan

Wrigglers
    Just a quick note of appreciation for your time and effort Rohan. Thanks very much.

Cheers,

Bob

Just an Egg
    Thank you so much for being the guardian of this wonderful forum that has been a wealth of information to me, and for passing it on down to the next guardian to nurture and grow.

I too would like to thank Proteus for starting and maintaining this amazing community over the years. While it has not been as active in the last couple as a member would expect, I am hoping that will change. As Proteus has said, the ownership of the site has been turned over to someone new, and well that would be me.

So allow myself to introduce... myself. As you can probably guess, my name is Jason and while I have taken over the administration of our community from Proteus, I am hoping he decides to stick around. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to drop me a PM. I am here to help.

Jason

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Jason ,first of all welcome to your forum.Noticing your loacation as Canada.Is this still planned on being an australian orientated forum or leaning to a more global membership?
    Cheers
    Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the question as it was not on that I had really though of. While I would say the bulk of the members are from Australia, a lot are not, and while I have no problems with a forum being run to support a certain local, in this day and age, I think most people think of the internet as the local. So I hope that anyone would be welcome and the more members the better is it assists our hobby and more specifically our pets.

Jason

Aiming to have the forum to have more overseas members to join and to get involved is the only move. Discus industry in Australia is near dead. You look at the quality of discus selling and forum members posting these days ...... well, the nice way to say is we have gone backward 10 years ago. The fact that there have been no sponsor or no new shipment to show members and to tempt them to buy have made the forum is a dead zone. People want to see new fish all the time to get them excited and want to come back to the forum more often to keep checking. This is not the forum admin team's fault at all. It is just the death of discus industry which led to this situation. The whole admin team was so fantastic, so knowledgeable and so selfless with their time for forum members. Illusn, Matt, Merylin, Scott, Proteus, even the rude but sensational Taksan, just to name a few, have made the forum a very additive site, plus some previous admins like Nicholas and Samir. I wish Jason all the best but he has a very tough task to turn the forum around, at least for Australian members anyway.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Jason, welcome. I hereby make you an honorary Aussie. Now you fit right in now...

@ ivo...The local aquarium industry might be in a better state if importers, distributors and retailers were a bit more realistic with their pricing...the prices they charge for their wares compared to what is being charged for the same items in other countries....

Medium Discus Discus Planetarium's Avatar
    Welcome Jason,hi all I hope to have a new shipment in stock soon....

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanmike56
    Jason, welcome. I hereby make you an honorary Aussie. Now you fit right in now...
    Thanks, I could really use some better weather. The -25 degrees has been getting a little on the nerves lately.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanmike56
    @ ivo...The local aquarium industry might be in a better state if importers, distributors and retailers were a bit more realistic with their pricing...the prices they charge for their wares compared to what is being charged for the same items in other countries....
    We have the same problem with the pricing in Canada, with the States being so close. Somethings we buy are half the price or less in the states, and even with shipping and duty it is cheaper. That said, sometime it is nice to talk to someone face to face who knows the products.

Jason