Thread: pop eye

pop eye

I am looking after some discus for a mate that came yesterday and iam sure one had pop eye, on one eye is pushed out and looks disfigured.

Is there anyway to cure pop-eye??

I rang my mate and he said he noticed it but didnt think it was anything major, he told me to do what ever will help fix the problem.

What should i do?

Scott

Well must not have been pop eye, as i did a good clean of the tank 50% water change and it just seems to be back to normal. But it does seem that his eyes do protrude a bit more than the other fish, it might be something in the pigeon blood line because my pearl pigeon's eyes protude a bit too.
    Anyone noticed this with pigeon bloods?
    Also i was wondering how rare is a white pigeon or blue moon?? He biggest male that i am looking after he called a white pigeon and also a blue moon. I was just wondering if these are rare and how much a juvi would go for as he wants to get rid of his which is about 12cm. If i know how much a juvi goes for i can make a rough estimate for the adult.

Scott

The water quality has a HUGE thing with issues with Popeye and such. And you did great with the water change, that is the first thing I would of done. I would also keep up with daily water changes to up the water quality. I would also watch, and use Melafix if the eye issues persists. But I would think that with the water changes, you should be fine.

As far as Pigeon Blood line goes, I do not have any information for you. Hopefully Proteus will pop in and have a bit more info to offer.

Thanks guys i think i am going to continue daily water changes on all my future tanks aswell, even if its as little as 10%.

Cheers
    Scott