Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Male eating eggs....

Hi all.

I'm new to discus and have recently acquired a pair of red scribbelt stendkers. The shop I go them from said they spawns in store and the male ate the eggs shortly after. They are spawning now in my tank and again the male is eating the eggs. He seems not to be attempting to fertilise them at all, instead causally pecking away at the eggs as the female continues to deposit.

My question is, is this something the male is likely to "get right" with more attempts, or is he forever not going understand his role and eat each batch they produce.

They fish are approx 13cm.

Any thoughts/experienced from others would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

hi there fishomc welcome to the forum , well you can try to cage the eggs ,but that depends on where they lay them , or you can take the male out . see how it goes . some times they stop doing it but some times they just keep doing it are they a young pair ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks Scott. I dont think caging the eggs is suitable in this case as the eggs are basically being eaten as the female lays them....the male is not even making passes over the eggs to fertilise them.

Not sure on the age of the pair to be honest....however i would say they would be newly formed pair. I suspect they were purchased from AI (wholesaler) by the shop i got them from recently as individuals, not as a pair, and have since bonded.

Here is an average pic of the pair, you cant see in the pic but the male is behind and has pretty long streamer on the dorsal fin.

I actually only got them Monday and they spawned this afternoon....so have barely had time to look around the new tank!

cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imag0812__2___medium_.jpg  

Just an Egg
    Hi fishomc have patience they will get it right I have a pair where the male ate the first 5 spawns going behind the female eating not fertilizing now i have 70 nearly two month old discus i'm growing out from that pair I know it's frustrating but give them 5 to 10 attempts if you don't have another male to pair

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks Nathan.

I thought this might be the case.......fingers crossed he's just a novice and quick learner.

cheers.

Wondering if you really do have a pair, or if it's two females. It's not unknown for two females to spawn together in the absence of a male.

Best thing to do is observe the spawning tubes of both fish. The female has a wide, blunt tube, just big enough for the eggs to pass through. The male has a smaller "v" shape tube. The difference is quite obvious when you see the two side by side.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks Merrilyn.

I'll check next time they spawn. I was under the impression though that it Is only males that can get the streamer on the dorsal fin, females will never get it. Here is a good pic I got today with my digi slr, male at top....note pointed dorsal streamer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails received_m_mid_1381384498633_18f62ddf4640ec3221_0.jpeg  

Just an Egg
    You are right about the male (streamer) they look very nice beautiful pair

Streamers can develop on both male and female fish with age. I had a magnificent blue diamond confirmed female with a long streamer.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks Merrilyn.

I'm not sure on the age of these 2, assuming they have been grown under good conditions ( water, quality food, etc), what approx age should they be at 12-13cm?

Cheers.