Hi, I'm New Here!

Is this white spot or something else

hi Guys

Just wondering if someone can please identify these white spots on the tail fins of my discus. All 4/5 of the discus have it, and I've noticed it's getting slowing worst, I haven't noticed any spots on body, just the fins.

Their current diet is frozen bloodworms and dried pellets (supplied from OAFI), and are eating very well.

l've the water temp is 32 degs and currently doing 25% water changes every 3rd day. I've also just added aquarium salt to the tank in that last few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails discus_1__1_of_1_.jpg  

Welcome to the forum shiney. Doesn't look like white spot to me, but just keep an eye on it. White spot tends to spread quickly to the whole body.

Your temp is a bit too high for your fish's comfort. Drop the temp slowly to just under 30 degrees. Only wild caught fish need higher temps. You could also try a bit more variety in their diet too. Add some different brands of dry food and maybe even think of making some beef heart mix.

Nice little fish. Oakleigh have some good quality stock at times. Love to see a pic of your tank.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    hi Merrilyn,

thanks for your reply!

I've had the temp set at 32 degs, because that was recommended by Mack at OAFI for young discus, I'll drop the temp slowing down to 29-30 in the next couple of days, and see how we go!

Do know of any store's that sell beef heart mix in south east suburbs?

Thanks again

Glenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails discus_2__1_of_1_.jpg  

That's a good looking tank Glenn!

Mentone Aquarium used to sell packaged beef heart mix, and maybe give Amazing Amazon in Springvale a ring, and see if they stock any.

You could also try making a small quantity yourself. Instead of beef heart, get lamb heart or chicken or turkey heart from your butcher. Better when making smaller quantities, then add the other stuff. The reason we go for heart is, we need a clean muscle meat without fat.

You'll find everyone has an opinion when it comes to keeping discus. Mack is very good with his advice, but I don't agree with him on those high temps. If a discus is ailing, the first thing we do is raise the temp. If you normally run a temp of 32 degrees, you've go nowhere to go without making fish soup
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend