Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White worms

Wrigglers

White worms

Does anyone use them to feed to there discus?
    I'm trying to find some but can't find any.
    If someone knows where I can get them please let me know.
    Cheers Marty

Free Swimmer
    Don't u mean blood worms c your lfs

Wrigglers
    Na white worms.

Just an Egg
    Also looking for white worms please if someone has some to sell pm me

Wrigglers
    Hi guys,

are they the white "micro worms" that you are looking for, for raising fry? Or if not I'm interested to know what they are as are unfamiliar to me. Thanks for any info,

Cheers

Just an Egg
    No not microworms white worms are much larger perfect size for discus above 1 month and adults and very easy to culture a constant supply of live food but very hard to find they use to have them in my LFS in Newcastle but there supplier has gone out of business

Wrigglers
    Hi,

Thanks for that Nathan5, they sound great, very interesting. I'll look into it over here.

Cheers

Wrigglers
    Hi guys,

Is this them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWPNhI8iiU

Cheers

Just an Egg
    Yes that's them

Wrigglers
    Hi Guys,

I've asked in the Perth Cichlid Society Forum over here and picked up some interesting info.

The below was kindly offered up by Sydad,

Quote....
    "White worm cultures are available from time to time, but are seldom seen in aquarium shops. Rather they can be occasionally be obtained from other aquarists. I personally do not know of any available at the moment, but this does not mean that they are not around. The term "white worm" can apply to a number of worms, usually of the species Enchytraeus (Enchytraeid worms).

I have often kept such cultures in the past. The worms reach a maximum length of about 30mms,(depending on the exact species), with a diameter of up to 1.5mms; so they are somewhat smaller than aquatic black worms. They are relatively easy to culture during winter months, but require cooling during warmer months. Cultures crash readily if the temp. exceeds 20 degrees C. This requirement for cooler temperatures tends to limit their ready availability.

White worms are a good food source, but care is required in their feeding to fishes, with a maximum of 2-3 feedings per week. Exceeding this tends to cause fatty degeneration of fishes' livers due to the high fat and carbohydrate levels found in the worms.The popular dwarf white worm, known as Grindal worms are often available, and will tolerate higher culture temp. conditions; their usefulness as a food is limited by their smaller size (as is the case with micro worms), but they are a good intermediate food for larger fry, juveniles and small fish species. Some ot the better Aquarium stores, such as Aquotix, usually carry Grindal worm cultures.

Syd." ....... Unquote

Also this below from Oliver, The owner of Aquotix, one of Perth's best large local fish shops'

Quote....
    "You will often find the common white worm in earthworm cultures... You just have to dig around a bit to get a few and start your own from there.
    The Grindal worms from Aquotix were originally found in my backyard seedling mix where I was trying to strike some cuttings.... Only started with 4 worms, but still going after 10 plus years...." Unquote

Hope the info helps,

Cheers