Hi, I'm New Here!

Creating a discus aquarium that is easy to maintain-video

We have put together a little video showing the way we have designed our discus aquarium. Its a very low maintenance design that ensures the best water quality.

The tank is small at only a 100liters. Its houses a pair of discus, Ramirezi`s and Cardinal tetras. Because of the small size the design had to be perfect as we didn`t have the fall back of a large volume of water.
    I hope you enjoy.

http://youtu.be/uQJFcpIVJE8

Love the tank, those drift wood pices were a real find!
    I've got a couple of questions. what's the role of the poret under the substrate? does it work as a ugf that never goes anerobic?

the cave at the back is hard to see in the vid. Did you just build the structure with poret and rocks then cover over it with fluorite and river sand?
    does the blue poret ever get exposed?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN
    Love the tank, those drift wood pices were a real find!
    I've got a couple of questions. what's the role of the poret under the substrate? does it work as a ugf that never goes anerobic?

the cave at the back is hard to see in the vid. Did you just build the structure with poret and rocks then cover over it with fluorite and river sand?
    does the blue poret ever get exposed?
    Thanks for the feedback.
    To answer your questions with such a small aquarium we didn`t want to lose too much water to the substrate. There is a slow migration of water through the foam base plate preventing anaerobic gas formulation. Its only a saving of 5 liters but it counts when its 5% volume.

That is exactly how we built the cave. Since the tank has been running I havent seen any exposed foam. I use this method in all of my showtanks to great effect.
    We have a had a recent earthquake that shifted the cave slightly. (It also dropped 300l or so on the hatchery floor, and broke a thermometer.-we were very lucky.)

Love it!

do you have details for a supplier of poret that could ship to australia? I'm looking to use it to build deviders for a couple of moving bed sump filters

Hi, I'm New Here!