Eheim 2080 - Second hand questions

Hey Guys,

Thinking about getting a second hand Eheim 2080. But I have a few questions

- What's the general life expectancy of this filter.
    - What should I be looking at to see if there are any obvious issues with it?
    - At 3 years old what would you expect to pay, including media.

Cheers
    Rob

2080 is fairly solid i have 1 fro its first release here in oz.

Id replace the seal between the head and the filter body. the only other thing that has a tendency to wear out is the prime button, mine stopped working years ago but it isnt a big deal.

id also check the top connector and its seals

other then that i wouldn't worry.

you can buy a new one for $600 online but you need to budget another $150-200 for media, with that sid if you could get a 3yr old one with media for around the $400-$450 mark I'd jump on it

Thanks Jothy

Hey Guys,

Well I picked up a second hand 2080 for a good price, I swapped out the rings, and I'm finding around the 4hr mark it starts to drip. I've just pulled out the new rings, cleaned the old ones and put a bit of vasaline on them and put them back in. Wondering if I've missed anything. There arnt any cracks in the canister that I can see, appears to be coming from where it joins

Cheers
    Rob

Hey Guys,

Just an update, spoke with a eheim rep today and she believes the issue is related to the diafram that is connected to the manual push button that gets the filter working, which I believe to be correct.

The other thing I learnt is you can tell how old a eheim is by the serial number, if the serial number starts with a O7xxxx that means it was manufactured in 2007, so a 08xxxx was manufactured in 2008. Now if some ones tell s you something is only 3 years old you can confirm if there telling the truth.

Cheers
    Rob

Interesting information Rob. I didn't know that. Have to go look at my filters now
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hey Guys,

Just an update, my 2080 is now fixed, turned out the diaphram in the head was knackered and needed to be replaced. Its amazing how easy the head was to pull apart and how very little is inside it.

Anyway it turns out if you have a 2080, they recommend replacing the diaphram every 12 months, which I personally think is crapola, but as long as the diaphram doesnt dry out during a water change I think you'll be fine.

Cheers
    Rob

Free Swimmer
    Thanks for researching this Rob. Mines a 2005 and I just have been making sure I don't tilt it!

Will have to look at getting a replacement diaphragm then.

Cheers,
    Scott