Just an Egg

Hi from Adelaide :)

Hello folks, I'm new to discus although I have been keeping tropical fish for several years. I'm looking forward to learning from you all.
    Many smiles,
    Ziggy
    When the power of love is greater than the love of power, the world will be at peace.

Medium Discus Discus Planetarium's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum Ziggy....

hi there Ziggy welcome hope you have a good time here show us some pics, speak your mind and ask any thing you like . if its about Discus or any fish realy there will be someone that will know and someone always happy to help there is no silly questions here , have fun

Just an Egg

Thank you

Thank you so much to you both. I'll take some photos tomorrow but in the meantime I have a 6ft tank, 700L, with 7 juvenile discuss, 1 very laid back female angel who schools with the discus, 5clown loaches and some clean up crew fish.
    The tank is my pride and joy and while I've had fish for many years, I've only just entered into discus so hoping I'm doing everything right. Got the temp at 31 and the pH down at about 6.8, lots of driftwood in there and plants and it looks great.
    Will post some pics tomorrow.
    Thanks again for the welcome,
    Ziggy
    When the power of love is greater than the love of power, the world will be at peace.

Free Swimmer
    Welcome Ziggy. You can drop your temperature a little, 28-30 is ideal. Water changes are your friend, and with juvies you'd be wanting to do them at least twice a week...daily if you can.

Cheers,
    Scott

Just an Egg

Photos

Thank you Ghoti, I have dropped the temp to 30C. I'm also doing 25% water changes once to three times weekly. At the moment I'm doing them every other day because I put some new driftwood in and its still leaching so making my water a little "tea" like.

Attached as promised are photos of the 6ft tank ( I have two other tanks but not as big as my pride and joy). I've attached them as attachments as I'm unsure how to include them as images within the post so hope this is right.

Suggestions on care always welcomed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fishtankjuly14_2013_2.jpg   fishtankjuly14_2013.jpg  

Wrigglers
    Very nice setup Ziggy,

Hopefully the fish grow out nicely for you. What varieties do you have?

Like the signature line to.

Regards,

Bob

Just an Egg
    Thanks Bob. I'm not totally sure what discus I have because I went more on what I liked rather than on anything else but I believe there are 2 pigeon bloods, 1 white face melon (with too much peppering but still nice none the less), 3 turqs and a sapphire blue.
    I decided to go with some low cost discus first to learn the ropes but would like to get some really nice ones eventually once I know how to look after them without losing any. Besides, I think my husband would go nuts if I spent hundreds before I really knew what I was doing!
    Smiles,
    Ziggy