Free Swimmer

Size does matter! Water aging.

I have been using a 250lt drum for aging & pre-treating water. That’s been fine, but now it’s too small. I generally use 300lts each change. I do the discus tank first, then top up the drum and do the Angel tanks with a 50/50 mix of tap and aged water. I thought I’d get another drum but seeing one of those 1,000lt caged tanks for the same price I couldn’t resist.

So now I will have heaps of water for changes, however I’m not sure how I should handle such a large amount of water in storage.

> Is an airstone still sufficient for circulation? If so, what size air pump do I need?
    > Do I still add dechlorinator & conditioners upon filling, or draw water into a smaller container and treat just before adding to the tanks?
    > Do I heat the full 1000lts, use it unheated, or again draw off what I need and heat that alone?

Cheers,
    Scott

Re: Size does matter! Water aging.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoti
    I have been using a 250lt drum for aging & pre-treating water. That’s been fine, but now it’s too small. I generally use 300lts each change. I do the discus tank first, then top up the drum and do the Angel tanks with a 50/50 mix of tap and aged water. I thought I’d get another drum but seeing one of those 1,000lt caged tanks for the same price I couldn’t resist.
    Good Call be sure to wash it before you use it, hard to tell whats been in them before.

So now I will have heaps of water for changes, however I’m not sure how I should handle such a large amount of water in storage.

> Is an airstone still sufficient for circulation? If so, what size air pump do I need?
    yep needed for degassing the water size doesnt matter just so long as it has enough punch to bubble from the bottom of the full drum

> Do I still add dechlorinator & conditioners upon filling, or draw water into a smaller container and treat just before adding to the tanks?
    > Do I heat the full 1000lts, use it unheated, or again draw off what I need and heat that alone?

Cheers,
    Scott
    you need dechlorinator theses a lot of bad stuff in tap water + ammonia from the chloroamine.

always preheat your water before you do a change. heating 1000L is going to get expensive i sugest insulating the drum and maybe heating it to 2 or 3 degrees below your tanks.

Larvae
    I don't worry with heating change water since the temperature change in the tank will only be by a few degrees and for a short time and will rise back up again in a short period of time which will not affect the fish at all. I change 100L of water in a 400L tank every 3 days and the temperature drop is from 30' to 27' and rises back to 30' within an hour or so without any ill effect to the fish. The change water temperature is naturally around 14 to 15 degrees, depending on the outside temperature. the fish seen to enjoy the cooler water flowing in and even swim in and out of the current. To save on energy costs you can even insulate your individual tanks with the white foam sheets you use as bases for your tanks, just stick it to all four sides and put one on top of the tank and you will find that the water will stay warmer for longer and the heater won't need to work as hard to keep the tank warm, during the day you might even disconnect the heater if it isn't too cold a day. Hope to have helped, cheers.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote:

yep needed for degassing the water size doesnt matter just so long as it has enough punch to bubble from the bottom of the full drum

I have always been shown that you don't get any benefit from gassing at depths of over 1 foot. At depths greater than 1 foot there is now change in the water? Is this wrong?

Free Swimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by AS28
    Is an airstone still sufficient for circulation? If so, what size air pump do I need?

I have always been shown that you don't get any benefit from gassing at depths of over 1 foot. At depths greater than 1 foot there is now change in the water? Is this wrong?
    Seems to be working. I'd be very surprised if Jothy's recommendation didn't work. Heck, there'd have to be an almighty disturbance in the force for that to happen

Its also handy to have prepared water on hand for small changes (~10%) when the desire hits me.

Cheers,
    Scott