Free Swimmer

Breeding tanks: sump or sponge filter

So I am finally getting round to setting up some breeding tanks I purchased oh so long ago - 24 x 18 x 18 with a corner set-up as some form of filtration arrangement.

The guy I bought them from had the bottom hole plugged, an air stone in the bottom and filter wool filling the 'box'. To be honest I can't see how this setup worked as the flow seems wrong to me. I'd certainly be open to some hints & tips

So, for the details....

Bottom of tank is drilled, as if for a sump. There are two 'tabs' inside the 'box' which seemed to perform the function of preventing filter wool from falling to the bottom. The inlet (outlet?) from the tank is also at the bottom.

The arrangement at the top is somewhat odd - the glass to the right forms something like a weir, however the glass facing the front is also drilled, lower than the top of the 'weir'. Its this which makes me think the 'weir' would be totally ineffective for a sump. Not sure how it would work as an air filter either.

I have three of these tanks in a rack, which I have plans of using for angel breeding. Any suggestions on the best way to plumb them would be great as I really don't want to run three canisters

And yes, I know the silicone work is poor.

Cheers,
    Scott

Larvae
    Just for the ease of filter-maintenance I'd remove the weirs, plug the holes and run basic sponge filters. Canisters and sumps will keep water dirtier than a sponge you rinse every day.
    Ben

Free Swimmer
    Thanks Ben.

I'm still curious as to how these are supposed to work. The guy I got them from had 40-50 such tanks with angel pairs, and 10 four foot grow out tanks with 100's of baby angels.

He was running more airlines than LAX and there is no way he was cleaning that filter wool daily. None-the less, I still can't see how it worked. I should have kept his contact details.

Cheers,
    Scott

Larvae
    Yeah the hole up the top is pretty puzzling. Without that it looks like a normal weir but you have the option of running the water through filter media before it drains out the bottom.
    Ben

I think the top hole can be plumbed for return water from the sump so u dont have hoses hanging over the back of the tank.

Free Swimmer
    Well I filled a tank up thinking as long as I kept the water level below weir height all would be good...well not quite. As the tank filled do did the 'box', albeit somewhat slower. I fitted a bulkhead quickly and capped it. By the time the tank was full the box was about 1/3 full. An hour later the tank and box were level.

As I couldn't see any holes I assume poor silicone rather than good design is in play. So, weirs will come out and I'll plug the bottom hole with a bulkhead so I can drain quickly.

cheers,
    Scott.

Hi Scott.

Here's a pic I pulled from an old thread on here a couple of years ago. I'm sure you'll find it with a bit of digging.

Anyway, these are all plumbed into a common sump next to the rack. I would have had 4 tanks with a large sump on the bottom shelf.

The uprights shown are cut to length so that it sets the water level - longer pipes, deeper water and visa versa.

Being PVC, they also doubled as the spawning surface; ver clever!

With a bit of thought you could remove the surrounding glass of the weir and plumb in something similar.

I hope this helps you out mate

Free Swimmer
    Thanks Brad.

I went to the market with Mrs Ghoti today and dropped in at Subscape on the way home. Then the penny dropped...

The holes cut in the weir are for the return pipe from above, with the hole in the bottom for the stand pipe waste. Alternately the hole in the botom could be blocked and then a small powerhead (or perhaps airstone) at the bottom of the box connected to a pipe & elbow sucks water from the bottom into the tank which recirculates over the weir and through the filter wool to the bottom. I'm guessing in this scenario the wool up the top gets dirty first and is easily replaced.

Off to Bunnings for some fittings then time to experiment.

In the meantime, I've removed the weir from one of the three tanks

Cheers,
    Scott