Hi, I'm New Here!

Peoples thoughts on top filters for breeding

Ive only ever used air driven sponge filters for breeding but im wondering what these would be like.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...=3346&catID=83

Obviously ill clean daily when i do wc's but it should save me time trying to siphon out crap. i work 12hour days so any bit of time saving is good. id also cover the intake with netting so fry dont get sucked up

Wrigglers
    Hi Conrad,

I dabbled in breeding a while back and used canister filters on my breeding/grow out tanks. I wanted to give the best possible environment for my babies to grow in. One problem I created was that I was using a large sponge to cover my pick up inlet to reduce suction flow to stop babies being sucked up or against the sponge and whilst doing 2 large water changes a day I still had bacterial problems that later I realised were from not adequately cleaning /squeezing out the pick up cover sponges regularly enough OR from detrimental bacteria that may have been growing in the filter.
    In hindsight when you look at the top breeders vids etc on the net they all use just a small simple sponge/air filter and rely on the very large water changes with a quick sponge squeeze to provide clean water free of bacteria etc. I think the use of canister or top trickle type filters could possibly be a reservoir for harbouring bacteria that we may not want to be introducing straight back in after a large clean water change.
    I think I was possibly needlessly over complicating my grow out tank set up?
    I'm no expert by far but I'd still recommend a quick clean of the glass and a regular syphon out to provide the cleanest environment possible also.
    It does take a lot of time and when we are all so busy these days its hard to fit in the time, not spend to much time/keep the wife happy etc : )
    I think the "kiss" method or "keep it simple" relates to Discus breeding very well.
    Hope the info may help, all the best of luck,

Cheers

ive done it with an aquaclear. i wrapped the intake with filter wool and a rubber band and changed it every water change. worked well but i could not drop the water level as low as i wanted with some of my pairs (wouldn't suck) and i had to reduce the flow rate to the lowest setting.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Thinking i might just stick to my sponge filters