Just an Egg

White Angel peppering

Recently I purchased a couple of juvenile White Angels. Over the past week the have developed some serious peppering. It was my understanding that these were not PB based. They are in a fully planted tank with white sand foreground. Any ideas on what is going on?

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...5-11173700.png

It is my understanding these discus are derived from snow white and blue diamond, i don't think they have pigeon in them but i'm not certain. Our asian breeder friends rarely volunteer genetic information.

I think the important point however, is that it is not just pigeon blood discus that pepper. The golden gene and white gene will also "pepper up" in certain circumstances. ( in the whites case in heterozygous form only, the homozygotes are perfectly clean.) Most likely they are just trying to blend with your tank surroundings. If the discus was really clean when you firt got them, likely they have been kept in very light surroundings which is typical of most breeders and wholesalers.

Personally, i like your whites, the eye color is fabulous!

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinediscus
    It is my understanding these discus are derived from snow white and blue diamond, i don't think they have pigeon in them but i'm not certain. Our asian breeder friends rarely volunteer genetic information.

I think the important point however, is that it is not just pigeon blood discus that pepper. The golden gene and white gene will also "pepper up" in certain circumstances. ( in the whites case in heterozygous form only, the homozygotes are perfectly clean.) Most likely they are just trying to blend with your tank surroundings. If the discus was really clean when you firt got them, likely they have been kept in very light surroundings which is typical of most breeders and wholesalers.

Personally, i like your whites, the eye color is fabulous!
    Thankyou for the explaination. Takes me back to my study days and genetic engineering!

I had a White Diamond in a aquarium with black substrate and black background. It stayed solid white without a single blemish. Had a fantastic white eye colour too.

Quote Originally Posted by dvdrew

I had a White Diamond in a aquarium with black substrate and black background. It stayed solid white without a single blemish. Had a fantastic white eye colour too.
    That sounds like the homozygous white i mentioned above. That type and the various so called albinos are the only ones that are pepper free from what i have seen.