Just an Egg

cannister filter with built in UV steriliser

first post in a while, cannister filter with built in UV steriliser. Any thoughts? experiences?

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.co.../prod_311.html

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Can't remember the exact details but when I added one to my tank on a 1700lph line you needed at least 30 watts+ in order for the light to have time to kill any bugs.
    So i don't think 9watts on a 2000lph will kill anything in that set up.

But its $100 dirt cheap maybe run 2 off them together ? expect a flood tho.

Free Swimmer
    I have had a similar filter for 3 years. It works, but we're not talking Fluval/Eheim quality or durability here.

1) The UVC is a gimmic. Fortunately there is an on/off switch so i keep mine off.

2) The spray bar and inlet are a low quality plastic, somewhat brittle but perfectly serviceable with care.

3) The tray handles are a bit flimsy also, but again perfectly serviceable with care.

4) The actual filtration is OK enabling me to achieve zero ammonia, zero nitrite and 10ppm nitrate with the same water change regimen I use with eheim filters.

I am surprised its lasted this long but at the time I needed a large capacity filter quickly for a QT tank I was setting up and I had little budget. In retrospect a used eheim 2217 can usually be picked up for $100 - 120 and will last longer, but has lower rated capacity and is harder to prime and clean.

Cheers,
    Scott

Just an Egg
    yeah i was thinking the same seemed way too cheap to be a quality setup, thanks for the input guys. ill probably go with a small aquaone cannister and a large inline UV filter