Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

7 dead discus!!!

I carried out routine maintenace on my planted discus tank last night and woke up this morning to 7 dead discus (2 Adults, 2 Teens & 3 Babies) and three dead algae eaters. My loaches and cardinals and red finned tetras are all fine.

First thing check PH - 7.0
    Next check ammonia - 0
    check temp - 28
    check all equipment - fine

Yesterday I went into LFS and asked about a phosphate remover to reduce green algae on glass - spoke to a lady that breeds discus and she sold me a GREEN-X form HAGEN. Said she uses them all the time with her discus in planted tanks. Said I should put 3 packs in my CF after all other media - Said one bag does 100 litres and that she has three bags in her std 4'. I did my math and thought 3 would be overkill so I used 2. This is the only thing I can think of that could be the cause.

Routine maintenance consisted of cleaning glass, 25% daily W/C and trim plants.

BTW the fish did not look like they had been thrashing about - no damage - most color & red eyes. They looked like they had just been paralised in an instant.

Question - Can anyone tell me if I committed mass murder?

Also - I'd like to add that although I have not posted many msgs on this forum, I have been absorbing as much info from you guys and girls as possible of the last 18 months. I respect your opinions so I would like you to express them here before I go back to that lady and go off!!
    ________
    Marc

Sorry to hear about the bad news, my heart goes out to you.
    I am not sure about that product but others might.... I am sure she would not sell it to you, if it would do even the slighest amout of harm.

This might be a long shot but it had happened to me, When i was living in queensland i had a small fish tank withgoldfish, they were doing fine and had them for 6 months, the same thing happened and they were all dead when i got home from work, well! i found out that my house mate had used 1/2 can of fly spray on a huntsman! In another room.
    so the residue must have made its way into the water! i was very pissed off!
    so could it of happened to you? but in saying that the tetras are ok?

lets see what some other people think......

Ben

Just an Egg
    That is just horrible. The only explanation is Green-X. It is the only new variable in the equation.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Prodigydiscus - Thanks for the fast reply and for the condolences...

My wife knows not to use any sprays (even hair spray and deodorant) within a fifty foot radius of the tanks so I am positive it wasn't that. You got me thinking though so I checked the tank again for any bugs that may have gotten into the tank (maybe after walking through a roach bait) but couldn't find any.

I have read that others have had success with the Hagen Green-X so maybe it isn't the prob.

It's bad enough thinking of the $$$$$$ and time I have invested in those little guys but even though I can save up $ and spend more time - I just can't replace em. And when I don't know where I went wrong it makes me wanna give up altogether.

Thanks again for the quick reply
    ________
    Marc

Hi Mr.Tang,

Very sorry to hear about your loss mate

2 questions ...

1. Is there anything else you did differently from normal, add anything else to the tank ?

2. What are the contents of GREEN-X ? active ingrediants etc?

Cheers,

Dee.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    1. Added two new plants that were from quarantine tank, then rinsed in new batch of tank water, then added to tank.

2. From the side of the box - (the only english writing on the box)
    Green-X reduces many of the compounds that encourage algae growth. It absorbs and traps phosphate, nitrit and nitrate within its matrix. Makes maintenace easy blah blah blah.... and can be placed in canister filter, HOB, Internal and wet/dry. No instructions inside and no mention of active ingredients in any other language (that I can make it).

Checked Hagen's web site and got this:

A-1348 Phosphate Remover - Box

- 3 x 100 g pouches
    - Each pouch reats 100 l of water
    - 3 pouches per display box
    ________
    Marc

Mr Tang, please dont give up on keeping discus, if you/we/others can find out the cause, use this as a learning experience so it wont happen again.

Keep an eye out on the tetras for any signs that might help us find the cause.
    And please keep us posted.

Ben

Wrigglers
    hey Mr Tang I haver used the same green x for the past month and it doesnt cause the fish to die I can tell you that. What was the water like, cloudy and did you add any other chemicals in with your water change that caused your fish to die. It happened to me and the nitrate was at 160ppm ask prodigydisucs we were on the phone and the net most of the night fixing the problem??? Good luck

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Water was crystal clear and still is. Nitrate was 40ppm. The only chemicals ever added to my tank are water ager/dechlorinater and ferts. My doses on both have not change in the last 3 months.
    ________
    Marc

hi mr.tang did you use any ph down or plant ferts or anything ? if you put ph down in the tank it is very possible that you put to much and you in a way nuked the tank. this has happened to me before and they keel over as quick as clicking your fingers.

sorry about your huge loss.
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy