Just an Egg

4x2x2 planning stages

Hey guys

I'm starting to gather info on what I'll need for my discus tank
    It's going to be a 4x2x2 so roughly 400litres
    I plan to have 8-12 discus in there and around 40-50 tetras

Will the above fish be okay for starters?

Equipment I have been thinking of using
    Eheim2260 canister 2400lph
    Aquis 500lph canister for added flow and filtration
    2eheim 300 w heaters
    Tune 6015 1800Lph for added flow if needed
    Fluval plant stratum and river gravel for the substrate

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks
    Ben

Just an Egg
    Adult discus require 40 litres of water minimum per fish. 50 is even better.

Based on that I'd aim for 8 adult discus maximum (along with your tetras). You could start with 10-11 juvies and grow them out, as you'll probably lose about two in the process.

Also remember substrate is going to displace a lot of water, so you might only have 350 litres of water in the tank after gravel. - Are you planning to have any plants? if not i'd go barebottom (easier to clean), or go with a sand substrate (again, easier to clean).

I would not put the tunze pump in, discus dont need or particularly enjoy high flow. Instead perhaps opt for another filter- can never have enough filtration.

I'm not sure what type of filter the aquis is? - is it hang on the back? I've found HOB's pretty useful when feeding frozen food, means i dont have to bother defrosting, and I just hold the frozen cube under the waterfall and the warm water quickyl defrosts it and disperses it for all the fish.

Heating seems good.

Just an Egg
    Ok I'll stick with 10 discus
    I was going to make 2 30x30cm "pots" and put the plant stratum inso I can have some swords and crypts and then I can go Bretton everywhere else
    also have some driftwood with anubias
    Ok I won't use the tune pump
    The Aquis is an older canister filter

Just an Egg
    After some more research I'm wondering if a eheim 2217 would suffice
    I'm now looking at the tank being barebottum and have plants growing on the driftwood
    The only reason for changing filter is cost (2217 for $80 or 2260 for $250) and I'm not the richest man around

Larvae
    I've got a 4x2x2 with 2X 2217s. They're pretty awesome, I've had no problem keeping the water clean with regular water changes.

I don't really know anything about the 2260 but I think the best question to ask would be "how easy is it to clean/maintain?" If something is hard to clean, you'll do it less regularly and your discus will suffer.
    Ben