Just an Egg

Looking to buy LEDs. Need some advice

Hi everyone,

I have a new tank that I'm looking on buying some LEDs for . It's 9 foot by 2.5foot high by 2.0ft wide...

I have only wild discus and swords , have fern and Anubis ..

I'm confused on what LEDs to buy .

Some advice would appreciated . I have looking at maxspects , and ecotech radion ...

if your not going to grow plants (real plants) and you just want to display discus a 4 module maxspect with neutral and warm white XML's will be plenty, just get the lights atleast 2 feet above the surface of the tank.

if you want more light concider add more modules to your max spect (say a total of 8 modules 4 banks of 2 across your 9 x2 foot tank foot print)

either way big $$$ if your handy DIY yourself a nice light using 3500-6000K chips and you wont go wrong

Just an Egg
    id also take a look at the aquaray 1500 gro tiles - have one over a 2 foot tank at the moment and it grows ANYTHING, you might just want to do a read up on the depth restrictions - you should be able to get away with 5 tiles over your length, but you can always add tubes as well

theres not too many LEDs out there that grow plants, the fancy LED stuff tends to focus more on the reef enthusiasts...

but your best bet, or what i would do, would be a diy, as Illusn said. just be careful with the quality of the LEDs that you source, CREE are by far your best, followed by your more basic BRIDGELUX chips.

good luck!