Hi, I'm New Here!

Bigger tank upgrade how to? Need advice

Hi All

I will be getting a bigger tank at the end of the week. It measure 4ft x 18 x 22 inches. It comes with an overhead filter an Atman 1050 external and another external eheim filter (as yet not sure what model)

My question really relates to when to transport the 4 juvies blue diamonds, 10 cardinals, and 4 rummy;'s i have currently in a 3ft over to the new tank.

My plan currently is to:

Put new media filter in the 4ft second hand tank im getting.

Use water from changes im making on the current tank and put that in the new tank. Therefore im guessing new tank would already be cycled from current tank water?

Then transport fish over.

However how long should i wait to move the fish into new tank?

How long will the external filters, and overhead filter generate good bacteria etc? and be ready for the discus

your help would be much appreciated. My first concern is obviously to ensure the water conditions will be perfect for the discus, also im hoping to avoid big power bills, i don't want 2 tanks running at the same time for any longer than is needed.

And then add more of these amazing fish!

Sorry for the long post guys, thanks for any help you can give!

Cheers,
    DKF

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi DKF I'm no Discus expert but I have moved house a few times with up to 30 tanks.
    If you can because you don't want to have 2 tanks running I would take the filter off the 3ft put it on the 4ft with around 70% or as much as you can the water aswel then then you can change fish over straight away then leave the old filters on as long as you can to give the new filters enough time to build up good bio colony's.before removing the extra filters.
    This is what I've done a few times when moving Tropheus with some luck a more experienced Discus keeper can chime in.

Cheers Shane

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Stevos,

Thanks for the advice. Was thinking that especially with the water, only issue there is that the 3ft has no external filters at the momment, only the 4ft has them.

So i suppose would need to know if i use 70% of the existing water straight into enw tank and run the filtration with that and new aged water, how long will the new filter's take to build up a good bacteria colony?

Thanks for the help guys!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Stevos,

Thanks for the advice. Was thinking that especially with the water, only issue there is that the 3ft has no external filters at the momment, only the 4ft has them.

So i suppose would need to know if i use 70% of the existing water straight into enw tank and run the filtration with that and new aged water, how long will the new filter's take to build up a good bacteria colony?

Thanks for the help guys!

Wrigglers
    Hi DKF,

If you can get the filter media from your 3' tank and bang it into your new filters that should give you a good start. Just monitor your ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte levels more regularly over the first few weeks and if necessary reduce/control with water changes.

Regards,

Bob

ETA: DO NOT RINSE the old media with anything other than some of your old tank water.

Regs,

Bob

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks, yeah i'll be doing just that, should be alright i'll use all the filter media i have now and chuck it straight it, daily water changes for a week or so and should be right.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I am in the process of doing the same thing. My only difference is i have external filter on the 3 foot as well as the 4 foot. Would it be a good idea for me to run both filters in the old tank for a while before starting on the new tank. If so for how long??
    Thanks

The beneficial bacteria is housed mainly in your filter, some in the gravel and driftwood and even a little on the walls of your tank, but VERY little in the water. For example, you can give your established tank a hundred percent water change with aged water without destroying the beneficial bacteria in your filter.

Just remember the bacteria colony is only as large as the available food, which in this case, is the ammonia produced by your fish.

If you suddenly double the number of fish in your tank, it's going to take a while for your bacteria colony to grow large enough to handle the extra ammonia, so you'll have to help out for a few weeks by doing daily water changes.

The right way to do it, is to gradually increase the number of fish and give your filter time to catch up.

Nedspeed, welcome to the forum. Whichever way you do it, you're only seeding the new filter. If you're going to increase the number of fish you have, then the rules above apply. Do it gradually, and monitor the ammonia level. If it gets too high, do a water change. If you're just going to transfer all your fish into the larger tank and shut down the smaller tank, simply put your old filter media into the new filter without washing it. Job done
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrilyn
    Nedspeed, welcome to the forum. Whichever way you do it, you're only seeding the new filter. If you're going to increase the number of fish you have, then the rules above apply. Do it gradually, and monitor the ammonia level. If it gets too high, do a water change. If you're just going to transfer all your fish into the larger tank and shut down the smaller tank, simply put your old filter media into the new filter without washing it. Job done
    Thanks Merrilyn,
    I have a Fluval for the smaller tank, Filter medial doesnt fit. The plan was to seed the new filter for a while, then run it in the fishless like you would normallly. Let it cycle etc. I had hoped the cycling wouldnt take as long with the seeded filter?? Either way, until the new tank, settles no one is moving anywhere. It will give me time to get the plants and layout right.
    My family really enjoy my discus and i wont risk it.
    Thanks again

The fishless cycle will be much quicker with a seeded filter, so by all means, run your new filter for a week or so in your three foot tank then transfer it over to your new tank. You'll need to feed the bacteria in your filter, so either add some ammonia powder, or dump in a raw prawn or a bunch of fishfood to feed the cycle. Your fishless cycle will be over and done in two to three weeks.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend