Hi, I'm New Here!

In need of a few tips

New here and new to discus

Ive got a planted comunity tank with about dozen discus and have been try to get them spawning. 2 pairs but no eggs yet. So i am thinking of some things to improve or maybe just give them more time.

Only been ageing Brisbane tap water for 3 weeks but CH & KN seem to high at about 180 and 150 respectively or is this ok ?
    The CO2 keeps PH about 6.7 nitrite and nitrates are allways 0 even if i dont change the water. I am going to start using rain water ( if it ever rains ) is it worth matching the PH before adding new water ?

Other things would the heat be an issue ? water tempture has been sitting on 30+ due to the heat for a few weeks. The last things is due to the plants growing like weeds I end up dumping half a bucket load weekly and disturbance in the tank seems to make them scatty.

I'am probably just being impatient but any tips would be great.

They can breed successfully in a planted tank, but as you say, the constant disruption of you trimming and unsettling the tank won't help.

Also, being in a large community environment as they are won't help. Again, they can successfully rear young, but they'll expend a lot of time and energy defending their brood from their tank mates. Better for them to be isolated in to a separate tank of their own if at all possible.

Just a heads up, depending on what plant species you have, you're potentially dumping quite a bit of money.. For a little time and effort to pack and post, there are plenty of people that will happily buy your trimmings, meaning your tank will help to pay for itself. There's a dedicated forum in Australia for planted tanks that would be a great place to sell them. Let me know if you want the link.

Good luck with the pairs

Just an Egg
    firstly, welcome to discus!!

secondly, a few things - the warm water is a good thing!! higher temps of 28-32 degrees, combined with soft, acidic (5.5-6.5) water will encourage spawning greatly. preferably, a breeding pair should have the privacy of a seperate, bare bottom tank, with no decor other than a spawning cone to ensure sterile conditions - eggs are prone to fungus and fry also get easily "lost" in large community tanks.
    the breeding pairs need to be well contained, in sterile conditions. unfortunately, it is quite difficult to raise discus past the fry stage in a large planted tank, and in some cases, for the first few spawnings, either one or both parents will make mistakes - eat the eggs/fry, ignore the eggs/fry etc. however, practice makes perfect, and they will learn

this is just the basics, so much more to learn, but good luck!!!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thank for the tips.

At this stage i was just hopeing to get them spawing as it seems like a 99% chance the fry will not make it. But this gives me the excuse I need to set up some more tanks.
    Good point on the plants, could use that link. Currently i don't even have a tank to put the excess in but i might get a holding tank and put the spare room to use.