Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks guys for all your feedback, DP I think you are doing a great job and I should of said this isnt directed at you, there are some shops here that sell for way more than you do Ie Sydney Discus World.

I think Swampy is right that I just want to understand the process and the costs associated to it.

on the off topic,

I think everyone should check this guy out. You wont regret it.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47667

Medium Discus Discus Planetarium's Avatar
    Michaelz101 Thats fine mate you asked a good question people think its easy to import fish and dry goods there are alot of cost involved i only want quality discus thats why i use Forrest,i can get small discus for $1.80-$2 but do you think people would want them NO.
    Its not just about the sale with me its also the service i provide 24hrs if you come home at 3am and find your fish black and upside down my customers can call me asap and if i can help them out with advise or medacation i will i am here to help.You cannot call your aquarium shop at 3am.

Just an Egg
    it isnt just that the fish cost more to import - its the store rental, the electricity to run the heaters and pumps and filters in the tanks, the discus that are lost time to time in transit/instore, the feeds and maintenance that go into the care of the fish until sold - the store owners don't make 50, 100 or 200 bucks profit if thats the actual markup - see the big picture, and being one of the younger forum members here, would everyone please start to act their age.
    a warm welcome to any new members on this post - we're here to help each, offer and heed advice, and just generally act as friends and fellow hobbyists. nothing else.

Wrigglers
    The price differance is huge, but i am guessing Kenny sells a bucket load of discus, he sells alot for cheap prices. If he sold them at the price as " " Kenny would not be buying in bulk nor selling in bulk.

To pay or not to pay is up you/me/us the consumer.. " shop around "
    Rossco

Quote Originally Posted by Duckess
    Whatever swamprat more like old mate shouldn't join a forum and post straight on an importers advertisement that his prices are really high and post a link to another country showing the huge quote unquote mark up , I think that's disrespectful so EADC you and chopper
    You've been on this forum for 5min Duckess, so get some time up or take your rude and arrogant opinions elsewhere.

It's tough talking keyboard bullies like yourself that make the net a crap place.

Every member, regardless of how junior, is entitled to ask a question and should not have to expect to be attacked.

Okay, play nicely please folks.

This is a difficult question for a lot of people new to discus to understand. The cost of importing one unit into Australia is much greater than into the US. In the US they are ordering in bulk, hence the price per unit is much less. They don't have to quarantine their fish, another huge cost difference between the two countries. The number of fish lost during shipping and quarantine is another added expense which does not apply in USA, plus our wages here are higher.

Add all that together, and retailers here are paying way more for a single fish than the retailers are in the US.

I think this question has been fully answered. Any more comments on this subject will be removed from this post.

Now back to the main subject of this post, the beautiful fish imported by Discus Planetarium
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    The way I see it is if you want quality fish quality service you will pay for it and when you look at what discus sell at these sizes in aus they are not over priced at all.
    I have purchased off Anthony service was fantastic fish are great I've had Qs after the purchase and Anthony was only to happy to help we're else do you get service like that?

Cheers Shane