Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wrigglers
    Hi Duckess,

Not sure why we should have to deal with it. Obviously the unit cost and transport costs can't be that much different especially with the Aussie $ running at a significantly better rate than the US variety.

Generally I am much more accepting of a higher cost if it is justified, ie, Q costs, power, water costs, etc. but please, give us a reason beyond the ability of dealers to line their pockets.

Regards,

Bob

Larvae
    Well for starters America has 300 million people , we have 20 , there isn't many people over here who are into discus most likely due to big prices and high maintenance but if you love it, want it you will buy it . I'm sure any importers will explain the increasing prices of quarantine facilities and all the other bullcrap they go through to get these great fish for us thanks guys . Yeah they make a profit so does every business at the end of the day if your not happy with the price dont pay it , go live in the states where you can buy a mansion for 200k also (shall we start complaining to the property market cuz their houses are cheaper ???

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Sorry don't mean to jeer anyone up.

Making a profit is fine, but the price comparison is ridiculous here we are talking 4-5 times for some fish.

Given what Bob said it can't be much different in terms of freight, quarantine, paper registration I would think.

Other fish price are pretty similar between the two countries, except discus. Either fish shops maximise the profit margin here in australia due to sheer beauty of this fish, or there is something else i am missing here.

If Kenny can sale a 5inch penang eruption for $75 and still make a profit, we can pick up our game.

Larvae
    Simple solution you import them and sell them to us for that price )) ill have my wallet ready

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I wouldn't have the skills to do that. But making my hobby into a business takes the fun out of it. But sooner or later, someone will compete and prices will become more comparative to that of america i think. Might take 5-10 years but we will see.

talking about importing yourself,its definitly possible.i remember reading a thread in SD that tells you everything from start to end. Just need to understand how to fill out those tedious papers.... And quarantine measures.

Medium Discus Discus Planetarium's Avatar
    Ok people it is a good question but i dont need to explan to you all why the price is different but i will give you an example,
    kenny's buying price would be much better than mine as he orders every month or sometimes twice a month,i have all import fees to pay aqis and cargo clear, QT fees paying for fish and shipping my bank fees (money transfer) etc the list goes on and on and this is just to get the fish here then i have my power bills my water bill food my time medaction ect, in the usa by law they dont need to have QT rooms and Kenny doesnt you can just order fish from oversea and bring them into the usa.
    At the end of the day Duckess is right if your not happy with the price of my fish the are many other places that sell discus so you can shop around.
    I hope you all understand...DP..

Quote Originally Posted by Duckess
    Well for starters America has 300 million people , we have 20 , there isn't many people over here who are into discus most likely due to big prices and high maintenance but if you love it, want it you will buy it . I'm sure any importers will explain the increasing prices of quarantine facilities and all the other bullcrap they go through to get these great fish for us thanks guys . Yeah they make a profit so does every business at the end of the day if your not happy with the price dont pay it , go live in the states where you can buy a mansion for 200k also (shall we start complaining to the property market cuz their houses are cheaper ???
    Nice way to welcome a new comer to the forum Duckess...

I would have thought it was a pretty reasonable question from someone not familliar with the cost associated with importing fish ot Aust..

A simple explanantion without the attitude would go a long way to ensuring new forum members stick around.

Just an Egg
    Well said swampy, sad to say but this is not the only forum this guy has been annoying people on

Larvae
    Whatever swamprat more like old mate shouldn't join a forum and post straight on an importers advertisement that his prices are really high and post a link to another country showing the huge quote unquote mark up , I think that's disrespectful so EADC you and chopper

Free Swimmer
    When I worked in retail our whole price was half the cost of the marked priced.So a discus selling for $400 would cost the importer (whom ever) $200 landed.If that makes sense.