Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Some update photos of my wild caught Altums. To my surprise they are not hard to keep at all, no special treatment just like other angels.

Looking good ivo. I wouldn't exactly say they're as hardy as domestic angels. They need higher temps and more acid water than your normal domestic, but that said, yours are looking good and healthy.

I found mine would thrive once they got over the shock of importing and quarantine. They've got to be tough little fish to survive that, an the smaller they are, the better they seem to adapt.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Quote Originally Posted by Merrilyn
    Looking good ivo. I wouldn't exactly say they're as hardy as domestic angels. They need higher temps and more acid water than your normal domestic, but that said, yours are looking good and healthy.

I found mine would thrive once they got over the shock of importing and quarantine. They've got to be tough little fish to survive that, an the smaller they are, the better they seem to adapt.
    Hi Merrilyn, I just keep them around 27 degrees cos I have 12 redline torpedo barbs in the tank so I dont want too high temperature for them cos they are my favorite fish. Just normal tap water PH I dont do any adjustment. Have these Altums for around 8 months now and they seem happy with these parameters. I do keep the water very clean and have an eheim 2080, 2 eheim 2217 for filtration.

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by ivo
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrilyn

Hi Merrilyn, I just keep them around 27 degrees cos I have 12 redline torpedo barbs in the tank so I dont want too high temperature for them cos they are my favorite fish. Just normal tap water PH I dont do any adjustment. Have these Altums for around 8 months now and they seem happy with these parameters. I do keep the water very clean and have an eheim 2080, 2 eheim 2217 for filtration.
    They look good mate, i also note that their bars are looking more complete in comparison to you last pics, as I suspected they would. 'TAP WATER? WOW' without adjustments? Can i say that you are running the gauntlet? Tap water is inconstant. The water is obviously OK for now but when the water board does some maintenance, things could become a little risky. I have suspected for years now in my humble opinion, the older Altums are the more demanding they become with their water chemistry. I wish you the best of luck and I hope I am wrong and these Altums are proven to be resilient
    FinVision is an Ornamental fish Importer with approved AQIS QAP holding facility, importing AAA Discus from the World Famous IP Discus Farm, Owned and operated by Mr Tony Tan, world Champion winner many times over and his Business Partner Jeffrey Tan is also a World famous Discus Judge, Traveling the word to Judge all the Major Discus Shows with a large panel of other world class Judges. Contact FinVision
    Office 0243536330
    Mobile 0412477997
    brian@finvisionlive.com
    Web www.finvisionlive.com

Looking good Ivo
    well done

Hi Finvision, funny you said about the bar have reached lower body. I only just noticed it when you mentioned. I guess they take time to develop they also started to develop some blue colur in the first half of body. I do believe you about tap water can be inconsistent. I generally do age my water for a few days to settle ph fluctuation and I do frequent small water change rather large water change. I used to monitor and maintain acidic water for my discus but now just keeping a constant parameters instead.