Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Wild Orinoco Altum Angel

I always want to keep some wild altum angel but always worry about the fact that they are hard to keep and very sensitive to poor quality of water. Anyway, i took a punt and bought two of these beauties four weeks ago. They were absolutely tiny but have grown decent size since then, and surprisingly they don't seem to be too high maintenance and super healthy. Hope you like them.

Larvae
    FANTASTIC.

Larvae
    Hi ivo,
    wow, they look great, if you don't mind me asking, who did you buy them from, hope you get to breed them.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi ivo,

What parameters have you got them in ? Are they as hard to keep as people say ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi IVO

How confident are you that you have been sold the wild caught Altums,
    First glance and the pics you have tell me that you got F1 tank bread.
    You may want to know how anyone can tell the diffidence,
    How i tell the diffidence is from the middle bar, it has to connect to the bottom of the body and turn towards the rear lower fin.
    As you can see clearly in your pics yours are just shy of reaching the bottom of the body.
    Non the less they are grate looking fish, and been told they are easier to keep than the wild caught.

I have been keeping wild ones for 5 years now and i started with 12 and have just one still alive, he is about 25 cm top fin to bottom fin.

Quote Originally Posted by ALTUMA
    Hi IVO

How i tell the diffidence is from the middle bar, it has to connect to the bottom of the body and turn towards the rear lower fin.
    As you can see clearly in your pics yours are just shy of reaching the bottom of the body.
    Non the less they are grate looking fish, and been told they are easier to keep than the wild caught.

I have been keeping wild ones for 5 years now and i started with 12 and have just one still alive, he is about 25 cm top fin to bottom fin.
    Why don't you do more research first?

Beautiful little ones u must be really happy to have them .

Just an Egg

They Are wild Altums with out question

Hi IVO

I am positive these are wilds, we have imported many F1 altums and some do show incomplete bar, but I have also seen many wild caught altums with incomplete bar, which means the centre bar doesn’t always reach the very bottom. We have visited the Taiwan Altum breeder whom had, through out his whole stock very bad broken bar traits, (bars with gapes in-between).
    I have also visited the Malaysian Breeder whom breeds the F1s and he had all his fish without broken bar, but admittedly a few with incomplete bar traits. I have seen many juvi wilds with incomplete bar and many with complete bar. But as they mature the bar becomes complete, I think this is a species distribution issue and nothing more, with the wilds.
    Their are different variants as you are most likely to be aware of with the P Altum , just to name a few, they include the Rio Ventuari , Rio Inirida, Rio Orinoco and the Rio Atabapo, they all have different appearances. Some have extraordinarily Tall dorsal, some have red spotts some have a lot of red in the dorsal some have a lot of blue sheen some have thicker bars and some have longer ventral fins, So in conclusion in my opinion these fish in question are undoubtedly Wild P Altum, I will say though, that the Incomplete bar on the F1s are a little bit bigger than the incomplete bar gap from the bottom of the Wild fish which has a smaller gap. I will say that from which river system the fish in question comes from I hasten to guess, most likely Rio Inirida, as this is where most of the wilds where caught and exported from in the last season, which was around June to August noted by my direct South American source
    FinVision is an Ornamental fish Importer with approved AQIS QAP holding facility, importing AAA Discus from the World Famous IP Discus Farm, Owned and operated by Mr Tony Tan, world Champion winner many times over and his Business Partner Jeffrey Tan is also a World famous Discus Judge, Traveling the word to Judge all the Major Discus Shows with a large panel of other world class Judges. Contact FinVision
    Office 0243536330
    Mobile 0412477997
    brian@finvisionlive.com
    Web www.finvisionlive.com

Re: They Are wild Altums with out question

Quote Originally Posted by FinVision P/L
    Hi IVO

I am positive these are wilds, we have imported many F1 altums and some do show

Thank you for your clarification. Have you got any special angels for sale at the moment?

incomplete bar, but I have also seen many wild caught altums with incomplete bar, which means the centre bar doesn’t always reach the very bottom. We have visited the Taiwan Altum breeder whom had, through out his whole stock very bad broken bar traits, (bars with gapes in-between).
    I have also visited the Malaysian Breeder whom breeds the F1s and he had all his fish without broken bar, but admittedly a few with incomplete bar traits. I have seen many juvi wilds with incomplete bar and many with complete bar. But as they mature the bar becomes complete, I think this is a species distribution issue and nothing more, with the wilds.
    Their are different variants as you are most likely to be aware of with the P Altum , just to name a few, they include the Rio Ventuari , Rio Inirida, Rio Orinoco and the Rio Atabapo, they all have different appearances. Some have extraordinarily Tall dorsal, some have red spotts some have a lot of red in the dorsal some have a lot of blue sheen some have thicker bars and some have longer ventral fins, So in conclusion in my opinion these fish in question are undoubtedly Wild P Altum, I will say though, that the Incomplete bar on the F1s are a little bit bigger than the incomplete bar gap from the bottom of the Wild fish which has a smaller gap. I will say that from which river system the fish in question comes from I hasten to guess, most likely Rio Inirida, as this is where most of the wilds where caught and exported from in the last season, which was around June to August noted by my direct South American source

Stuff up lasr post. Hi Finvision, thank you for your clarification. Have you got any special angels for sale at the monent?