Just an Egg

new ways to filter water

About a year or so ago,a marine biologist was telling me about how prawn farms produced so much waste most coastal towns refused their bid to open as they were so environmentally unfriendly.They were working on closed systems producing no waste with the use of molasses. I assumed they feed it into a denitrate coil,as a sugar based solution for better efficiency.but it would have to be enormous and therefore impractical on such a scale.I was also told you could simply pour it into the water for the best effect,as it would produce an array of micro organisms that would biologically remove all waste products. Basically I want to know if anyone has used this molasses bio system in discus water and there outcome,or if it is practical at all in a freshwater system. Any info would be appreciated so I at least have a starting point to begin my own research.
    Thanks

Just an Egg
    I haven't specifically heard about the use of mollases, but as a start I'd look at some of the aquaculture videos on youtube, then look at the company's website. Some documentaries are very in depth regarding these things.

Regarding waste - are you speaking in terms of both water wastage and fish waste or just fish waste? I.e. are you looking for a completely closed circuit system? Or just a system that effectively eliminates waste.

I don't think just pouring molasses in would do much, it makes more sense to blend it or use some sort of reactor to ensure a more even distribution of it to me.

The most commercially viable system applicable to home aquaria in my opinion is just your standard aquaculture system employing plants run in line with the aquarium water lines to soak up nitrates etc. Refugiums, if large enough, and flow rates are set right, and plants are chosen correctly can be very effective.

My 2 cents.

Just an Egg
    molasses systems are from what I'm told are completely closed,I have checked YouTube finding no info on this at all.
    my thinking is the same as you.however I have been told that's old technology lol.Very few people in the world know of this system,and only one guy in Australia is using it.From what I hear with great success.
    I like to keep up with new methods of water treatment and the fact I know nothing about this method is quite frustrating.
    From what I've been told the molasses is simply poured into the water sparking off a bio reaction in the water and sand that completely absorbs all the waste.Perhaps certain strains of bacteria must be introduced??I have no idea how that could work with so much waste.But if it dose I want to know how.I'm going to do some experiments but I'm flying blind.I anyone can assist me it would be greatly appreciated.