Hey everyone,

I just set up a new tank, 30 gallon, 84 degrees 7.0 ph (still coming down a bit), planted, low light. I got my first two residents last night, a super red and a turquoise, and it seems that the red is bullying the turq a bit. They are little guys, maybe an inch across so it's not a tank size issue, they were together in a smaller tank at the store. I just moved on from African Cichlids because I couldn't take the aggression anymore and now first night there is pecking and body flapping. I'm hoping it's just because there are two fish and a natural pecking order needs to be established.

Can I expect the aggression to dissipate as I add more discus? I know they are still cichlids but was under the impression that they are peaceful in nature. I need to get the nitrate levels under control before I can add more fish, but I was wondering if there were any tricks to try in the meantime... Lowering the temp a few degrees? I plan to add a couple rams as well. Will this add to subtract from the problem? Right now there is a large spear like plant that they can disappear into as well as a log ornament large enough for them to hide in as well.

Any help or insight would be great, thanks.