Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New canister

Just an Egg

New canister

This prolly seems like a really dumb question but here it goes. I'm getting my new tank this week along with a new, larger canister filter. If I run that new canister in my old tank along with the existing old canister filters
    1. How long will it take before its got enough bacteria to function properly?
    and
    2. Will it adversely effect the water quality in my old tank?
    TIA
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Just an Egg
    along with running both for a week, put some of the media from the established filter in the new one, and when you set up the new tank fill it with water from the old tank

overkill maybe but guaranteed to do a good job

joel.

id pop a bit of media from the old filter into the new filter as well. if you do this it should be mature in a week or so depending on the biolad of your existing tank.

if you run it with just new media it will take ~2 weeks to fully cycle.

Just an Egg
    Thanks guys. Got that going but holy cow the current that it puts through the water in intense. Now I am starting to panic that I bought to big a canister for my new tank. Its 5 ft x 2.5 x 2.5 and the filter is an Aqua One Nautilus 2700 Aquarium Canister filter. Will angling the spray bar against the glass cut down the current enough or have I made a massive mistake?
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Just an Egg
    yeah you can do that, it may stir up the substrate if its pointed downwards

Make up a spray bar or fit a "tee" piece to divide the flow.

Larvae
    Or make a spray bar with larger diameter pipe and or make the holes larger.

Just an Egg
    Its bare bottom so substrate isn't an issue. Thanks guys I am having a blonde day the thought of making the holes larger hadn't even passed through my brain.

Free Swimmer
    Don't worry I had a eheim 2180 running on a 300ltr 5ft tank with no spray bar ,it was ok,tank never looked so clear.

Just an Egg
    All set just have to wait now. Somehow I wound up with three goldfish in there. So when its done cycling I now have to buy a small aquarium for them or the kids will cry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new_tank_573.jpg