Hi all,

Long time forum lurker, first time poster.

I've kept tanks for the past 10 years - never kept discus, so this will be something new for me. I currently keep a 75 gallon approx (120cm X 45cm X 70cm high) freshwater tank which I plan to put discus into, and I also have a 140litre reef tank, with 70 litre refugium.

So below are my tank specs and plans, as a big fan of this forum I'd really appreciate all the feedback you can give before I actually put my discus in - any good tips, anything I'm currently doing wrong etc.

Specs:- Filtration:
1X Aqua One canister, 1200lph
I aim output at the walls to diffuse flow)
- Filtration 2: 1X Eheim 2215
(I aim output at the walls to diffuse flow)
- Lighting: Tmc Grobeam LED's
- UV: PondOne 9w
- Co2: Sera bottle, aqua medic solenoid

Current Fish:
- 22 Rummy Nose Tetra's
- 3 Sterbai Corydoras
- 2 large SAE's (planning to trade in for smaller ones before I buy my discus)
- 1 large bristlenose
- 1 Otocinclus

Planned fish/ Buy List:
- 5-7 Sub adult > Adult discus
- 5 Sterbai Corydoras
- 4 Otocinclus

Feeding:
- Variety of frozen and new spectrum flake and granules

Waterchanges:
- 2 X 50% changes per week. I will be upping this to 3 when my bioload increases (its so small at the moment!)

Substrate:
- Aquasoil Amazonia II, Aquasand Branco (open gravel from for discus to graze)

Plants:
- Amazon Swords
- Java Fern
- Thin Val

I plan to add my discus sometime next January or February, as I am going to Japan for all of december (and yes, for those interested I am going to Takashi Amano's gallery, his installation at skytree tower, and various aquariums across Japan).

I guess I've got two main questions. Based on the stocking list, and potential die offs how many discus should I start with? 5, 6, 7? (keeping in mind they will be sub adult to adult size).

Also I plan to get all the same variety discus, and i would like to get them all at the same time. Is it best to put the whole group in the tank on the same day or introduce them at different times? say 4 one day, and the remainder a week or a few weeks later. < If so, what size tank would I need to maintain the remaining fish in for the interim period?

Photos: (sorry for quality, taken with my phone)

[img]

[/img]

[img]
[/img][/url]