Just an Egg

probiotics in discus food

i was reading an article on another forum about the use of probiotics in food used for discus.they where having good success with the use of probiotics to keep hex at bay.does anyone have any experience using probiotics and would like to tell me how to use them safely.regards lawrence

Just an Egg
    I believe Probiotics are extremely valuable to discus.they seem to have a digestive system that falls victim to everything.medication can destroys necessary bacteria used for digestion.Biotin deficiency will than occur as it is formed by intestinal bacteria.symptoms usually include nervousness,loss of appetite,etc.which most people are familiar with.Probiotics are not a cure all,but over time the difference is noticeable.I my opinion not enough research has been done on this subject.
    Probiotics can also be administered to the water with good results at times, some years ago I used herbal extracts to control or suppress microbial pathogens in brine shrimp cultures with reasonable success.
    I have also used honey in Discus tanks for bacterial control.
    Foods such as salmon can increase Discus immune systems to various bacterial infections.
    Bottom line a discus needs a fully functional digestive system to adequately absorb necessary vitamins,proteins.minerals etc to form a fully functional immune system,probiotics help that happen.

Just an Egg
    hey phil56 thanks for the reply looks like you have done some good research into the subject of probiotics.i think i will go ahead with some trials of my own and see what happens.regards lawrence