Hi, I'm New Here!

hey guys, what strain are my discus?

hey guys,

first time keeping discus, would like some good discussions over what types of discus mine are. looking to gain some knowledge from the experts!

cheers

Wrigglers
    Hi Daniel,

I am not sure that your discus are an "identifiable" strain and likely were not sold as such, ie, blue turquoise, red turquoise, pigeon blood, marlboro, eruption and so on. They may be a mix of a couple of varieties or even the result of a pairing of "mixed strain" discus.

They also seem to be quite young though from the shape and eye size I would consider them to be quite stunted.

In regards to requesting a critique for your fish it is best if you post "individual" pics of the fish you are requesting a critique for. Preferably one from each side of the fish and a front on shot.

Can I ask how long you have had the tank set up for? The "bubbles" under your heater are indicative of a newly set up tank.

What filtration do you have in the tank and how long has it been running?

Regards,

Bob

Hi, I'm New Here!
    hi bob,

thanks for the input. i will post an individual picture next time around. the guy i purchased them from sold them to me as "rainbow checkered" and from what i now know, there seems to be no information on them!

they do appear to be stunted judging from the size of their eye to body ratio...damn... oh well i will try my best to grow them out and see what happens. the tank is newly set up (wow you must have excellent attention to detail), but has been running for 3 weeks with an eheim cannister with media from an existing tank. the other fish in there including some neon blue rams and guppies are doing fine.

dan

Wrigglers
    Hi Dan,

Most recommend growing out in a Bare Bottomed tank and plenty of feeding. That may be a waste of time with these as their colour is well developed so probably at least four plus months old.

I would suggest monitoring the ammonia levels in the tank if you have only just added the extra fish. There may not be enough within the established colony to deal with the extra "four?" discus.

They will probably keep you on your toes refining your discus keeping skills.

By the way, the guppies will probably find the water pH, gH and kH to be too low for their liking.

What size is the tank?

Good Luck,

Bob