Just an Egg

Bare botton tanks

I have had discus in a community tank with substrate. Due to a paired couple laying eggs quite frequently, I decided to put them into a breeding tank. This tank only has a sponge filter and no substrate.

The problem is that the male is freaked out by his reflection in the bottom of the tank. He is constantly tilted to one side waiting for his reflection to move and when it does he goes into a frantic panic.

Any suggestions on how to sort this out?

use a light that isnt overhead, i had the best results with a free standing floor lamp and a 12w CFL.

other things you can do is put a sheet of cardboard under the tank.

put some toilet paper between the bulb and the lids

use a blue light like a hagen marineGlo type globe.

Just an Egg
    Thanks Illusn. Problem is that I am not using a light. For some reason, maybe the style of tank, there is a huge amount of mirroring even with very faint ambient light.

remember just cause you can see a reflection from outside, doesnt mean the fish can see a reflection inside. if you've got a water proof camera stick it in the tank and take a photo of the bottom I'd be suprised if you get a refection.

you could try the desk lamp trick ans shine light through the tank from the front, maybe that will dull out what ever he thinks he's seeing on the bottom.

Failing illusions suggestion, put some sand in the tank. Not a lot, just a sprinkling over the bottom, by the time you've vac up the bottom he'll be over the reflection..

Hi, I'm New Here!
    maybe add a tin plastic white sheet at the bottom of the tank?