Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wrigglers

how long before they pair up

hey all ive got 8 young turqs,about 6cm in a 4x18x18 tank,will that tank be big enough for them to form a pair or two and at what age do they generally want to pair up.
    let me know your thoughts.
    cheers marty

Wrigglers
    Hi Marty,

I have just been going back over the purchase of the fish I had that spawned in Q but have been unable to determine exact time.

Payment for the fish was not finalised until the 16 April 2010. From memory the fish were packaged sent late the week after. I have photos of the initial pair spawing on 7 May 2010. Rod, the seller was very surprised that they were breeding so quickly as were others.

You can see some of the pictures of the fish on page three breeding basics.

Regards,

Bob

Just an Egg
    I've read that its not a good idea to allow them to breed to early. I'm not of the science but suspect it may have to do with redirecting resources from growing to producing eggs/mucus etc during the spawning rearing process.

Larvae
    Yes I've had younger discus lay successfully in my display tanks as small as 8cm but I split them up as if the females start laying to young it can prevent their growth

Wrigglers
    Absolutely agree regarding less growth. I had nowhere else available to be able to separate the boys from the girls.

Regards,

Bob

Wrigglers
    yeah i agree with you guys,but really all i want to know is at what age/size would they start to pair up so i then can move them to another tank,as they are in a 4x18x18.
    i dont want to start breeding them asap,i just want to give all the fish as much space as i can give them.
    hope that makes sense.
    cheers marty

Wrigglers
    Hi Marty,

From memory mine were advertised as 6 cm fish when ordered. They may have been a little bigger when they arrived but they didn't muck around in pairing up and spawning.

Water conditions,

pH 6.5

Temp 28

gH < 4

kH <2

added Indian Almond Leaves,

Plenty of driftwood in the water.

My feeling is that once they start to pair up they will start looking for a suitable spawing site and from there it is pretty much full on. The fish I had were spawning at least once a week once started until they were able to raise fry past free swimming.

Regards,

Bob

9 - 18mths, 50 - 75 cm min, your fish, your tank, you'll know when you see a pair.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I would not expect serious pairing untlil the fish were over a year old. When they are ready to pair off you'll be able to tell from their behavior.
    Back to aquariums after a 16 year absence

Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev
    9 - 18mths, 50 - 75 cm min, your fish, your tank, you'll know when you see a pair.
    wow do you feed your discus roids nev ? Lol I've never seen a discus that big