Wrigglers

Aquarium Algae identification and treatments.

Hi gang,

found this very informative article online re Algae Identification and thought the overall information contained may be helpful to relative "planted newbies" such as myself. I've just acquired three beautiful large pieces of Anubias Nana, the size of large bunches of grapes and I'm in the process of treating for Black Beard Algae that is on them. I've just started treating with 50% Hydrogen Peroxide solution at the dose rate of 3mls/100lts of tank water. You can spot treat with it to if careful. (suggest you do a search to look up the correct process before trying with Hydrogen Peroxide solution and its worth noting that HP is sold in all sorts of strengths such as 3%, 6%, 50% etc. Make sure you understand what strength is being used with a suggested dose rate.)
    I had heard about the use of Flourish Excel also and may try that too later. Its just good to have the info in the article to get an understanding of what these often suggested Algae treatments actually do, why they work and ways to try to avoid the algae in the first place.

Full credit to the author DUSKO BOJIC from Sweden.

http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com.au/

Cheers

Medium Discus
    Not to discredit the author, but i highly recommend Glutaraldehyde (co2 booster, excell, dino spit, etc) at a dose of double whats on the pack spot dosed via syring on the BBA itself. During dosing turn off or move your filter to keep the water as still as possible. Once dosed leave for 5 mins and return to normal.

Do this every day-two days for 3 or so doses. This will turn the algae pink-red and will die of its own accord or be eaten by fish and shrimp in the process as it softens. Using the Glut will also aid in carbon levels causing healthier new growth, so i recommend continuing with its use at the package dose in the water column (not spot dosed unless theres algae to kill) thereafter.

H2O2 is not something you want to mess around with unless you really know what your doing. I use it for other algae types but avoid using it for BBA. I certainly wouldnt treat the water column. Just a quick spot dose and then a big water change 10 mins later.

DOnt get either on your hands eyes or undies!

Best wishes,
    EA

Wrigglers
    Hi Adrian,

Thanks mate for the info. I agree with you about not dosing the water column with Hydrogen Peroxide after the info that has been received from yourself and others over the last day or so. Definitely more tank inhabitant friendly options for dealing with Black Beard Algae available.
    The author of the link with info on Algae I put up recommends, as you did, actually using the Flourish Excell and keeping Co2 levels up. The Hydrogen Peroxide option was recommended elsewhere.
    Spot dosing with an option that has added good side effects is how I would recommend to others to go in the future.
    I hope all is well with you and your family,

Cheers : )

Medium Discus
    THank you for the kind wishes man, very nice of you.
    Everyone is doing great, our "first baby" RUby is walking and talking already!

Please never hesitate to contact me if you ever need anything at all.

Kindest Regards and many many thanks to you and yours,
    Adrian

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Article on algae and what it eats and prevention.
    http://aquarium-fertilizer.com/nitra...e-ammonia-does

Wrigglers
    Hi AS28,

Thanks for the info,

Cheers

Hi, I'm New Here!
    G'Day Hooked, I work in the swimming pool industry and deal with this stuff alot and do a little research on it when i can. I intend to apply the info in te article to some swimming pools and watch for results.