Wrigglers

Anubias planting... wood or substrate? Temperature?

Hi Gang,

I'm getting into my planted side more seriously these days, but definitely still a plant beginner. I'm searching for Anubias for driftwood etc.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any good links for Anubias info. I know the Nana variety is suited to driftwood but wondered if there is some handy info around on the more commonly available Anubias and how they are to be planted. I was sold some taller, longer leaf variety and the only info given was its an Anubia. No variety info with it. After a search, it looks like an Afzelii to me. I'm not sure if it can be planted on wood or if some are to go in the substrate, or if all are happy either way???
    Also what temps do you guys keep your planted Discus tanks around?

Cheers

I keep my planted Discus tank at 27C and all my plants are doing extremely well. I also keep anubius varieties in my 22C shrimp tank, so it's very tolerant of 'average' temps.
    I'd suggest if your keeping your tanks over 30C then you might have issues, but I'm not certain as the larger varieties in particular are very tough.
    As for planting, most people suggest that the rhisome will rot if buried in the substrate. It will grow happily on DW or rock and is attached using cheap super glue. It's safe for your fish as well. Simply pat dry the DW with a towel, place the glue down and press and hold the plant on. It will take a little longer to set but it will stick. Don't worry about the glue drying white, it eventually fades away.
    Here's my two tanks. You'll see it tied to the upper branches of the DW in the Discus tank. It's also glued to the rocks around the base but they're a little harder to see in this photo:

Wrigglers
    Hi Swampy,

Thanks mate for the great continuing advice. I'm an Amano video junky these days. The tanks look great! Possibly Amano inspired? : )

Cheers

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Further to to this discussion what maintenance regime do you use for anubias in general, ie what fertilizers/how much/how often

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by discwillow
    Further to to this discussion what maintenance regime do you use for anubias in general, ie what fertilizers/how much/how often

Thanks
    None, none and never :P

Nothing goes into the shrimp tank except cool rainwater, and the big tank doens't get fertilised yet as the growth is strong and there's no signs of deficiency at this stage. I don't want to have excess nutrients in the water column and therefore increase the risk of an algae bloom.

I'm looking into a basic fert regime down for down the track. It needs to be VERY simple though as I have very litte spare time thanks to work, so I'd rather just enjoy my tank than constantly fiddling with it

Hey swampy1972 nice tanks just wanted to no what lights you have in the first pic(watts etc) (black round) they look awesome!
    Cheers