Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    San Merah Discus
    I'm probably the wrong person to answer your question about Sterazin as I am totally biased, I think it's useless. However, I have breeding friends that love the stuff. You will find that the dosages have changed depending on when you bought it. My last bottle was "double strength" and from England so the dosage was different again. My biggest problem with Waterlife is that they never mention the ingredients on the bottle which IMO should be outlawed and if you are running thousands of litres of water it is 5 times the price of other products. For me, regardless of the dosage, it simply did not work. These days I use my vet and not commercial products. The advice you get is generally better than your LFS and the meds work.
    MAC

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Yes I do favour Prazi over Dylox, yes it has been around a long time but using generic meds. Prazi still works the best if combined with salt. Yes I did quote vet grade because it is fresher and definetly works better. Because aquarium meds sometimes sit on the shelf for years before being sold. You challenge information I submitted on Dylox which was quoted from the book Discus Fish as bollocks. The minds behind that research include Thomas A Giovanetti, Dr. Matthew Vriends, Heiko Blecher, Dr. Paul Loiselle, Aaron Norman and Dr. David Schleser. It's their research that concluded fluke immunity to Dylox and recommend Prazi. Yes that was in 1991 but do you think Dylox would work better now. I don't see you recommending these new drugs you suppose fish farmers are using. As for gill flukes being different in other countries is simply not true. Fish are being exported all over the world every day and bringing their flukes with them. If you think the Doctors above research is bollocks then challenge it with scientific fact not bollocks. Discredit their research and I'll eat humble pie and that's great I'll learn something new. You seem upset though lighten up this is a game to learn more not a battle. See Ya

San Merah Discus
    Fishead,

Firstly, I am not upset, I'm smiling, always do. Secondly, I have seen so much scientific research over the years, not only on discus but many subjects that is conflicting, it's not funny. What I am going on is experience, first hand experience with my fish and comments made by some of the top breeders in Australia that have been using these meds for years. You can quote any research you like but I will guarantee that someone, if not many people, will refute it. In many cases different researchers have different outcomes on the same subject, that outcome is quite common.

The fact of the matter is, regardless of your 16 year old research outcomes, is that right here and now Trichlorofon, although pretty nasty on your fish compared to Prazi, it works. Personally I no longer use Trichlorofon because the pure Prazi powder I buy works for me every time. I find that the commercial forms of Prazi from the LFS do not work for me and maybe this is what you mean by vet grade, if that is the case then I agree whole heartedly.

I offer opinion on this forum on a regular basis and when it comes to flukes it comes down to two products, try Prazi first but the pure stuff from Aristopet as it is far more gentle than Trichlorofon, if for whatever reason that doesn't cut it then use Trichlorofon. Again, IME, not scientific reseach, they both still work. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter a stuff what either of us think, people will continue to use what ever works for them, I know I certainly will.
    MAC

Quote Originally Posted by mistakes r crucial
    the pure stuff from Aristopet
    How come I'm always the last to know ???

Neither trichlorofon nor prazi worked with a very stubborn case of flukes I had. finally 3 X 24 hour baths of 2mg/l KMnO4 over 8 days did the trick.
    I do not agree that flukes everywhere have the same resistance levels and I now believe that complete eradication is highly improbable . I still find a couple of flukes a slide no matter what.
    Anyone heard of Supaverm ? mebendazole + closantel. Its supposed to be 100% effective against flukes in koi. I've read that its toxic to any other fish, however in one of the vet journals it said that those reports are "anecdotal"

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Actually,I agree with every thing you just said.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I mean Mistakes r crucial sombody beat me to the post.

Just an Egg

ok on the right track

Just some use full information for all that wish to listen
    trichlorofon can be brought in a more pure form than most fish shops as a powder called neguvon fro cattle (be very careful strong stuff), trichlorofon can cause constipation after treatment as it also kills tape worm and other resistant worms, the big problem is it also effects the nervous system in the fish for a short while and there stomach mussels don’t work., if this happen strong Epson salts will work. This is valid for all trichlorofon treatments.
    Also a UV sterilizer will help control fluke in your systems

Ok now if you have a different opinion please just be constructive about you opinion.
    We are all here for the expansion of knowledge.

Larvae

good info

It's great to see so many replies to this thread.

San Merah Discus
    LoL you mean the ones made 4 years ago.

Larvae

yep

Whoops, I don't often take note of when posts were made, but even so this posts holds quite a lot of good info.